Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok a couple of quick questions I know generally when casting the lighter the line the further you'll go with a good cast. My question would be if I were to set up a 10' rod and mediam-heavy spinning reel with say 50# braid and say a good shock leader of 50# mono. Would it be a good setup for both bottom fishing and throwing metal? Would 50# be overkill and kill the cast? I'd be shooting for larger surf fish such as reds, cobia, and small-med sharks using this set-up and possibly even expand to some pier fishing once the pier down here is finished. (July) I sure do appreciate any help! CHEERS!:beer:
Chris

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
One of the advantages of using braid is smaller line diameter per line strength, Unless you plan on landing some really big fish in the surf, I would run no larger than 20-30# braid max, but ideally for pluggin go no bigger than 20#. This will allow for longer distance cast and increased line capacity. If you are going to use the same set up on the pier just add a suitable shock leader. JMO

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unless you plan on landing some really big fish in the surf
Always the goal LOL but who knows what I can actually get, I'll stay optimistic.

I would run no larger than 20-30# braid max, but ideally for pluggin go no bigger than 20#
That answers the casting question. As for with plugging though, is a shock leader needed? The 20# sounds like the way to go though that way a lighter reel can be used for throwing for longer periods of time and maybe I'll stick with my other mono set-up for bottom fishing. Could most likely use both on a pier I would guess.

Whats the standard for line and set-up if fishing for some big 'uns off the piers?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I started using braid (bait fishing) for increased "bite sensitivity", the increased distance was just an added plus. If you're casting to the outside of the bar and have 300 plus feet of line out, it makes a huge difference. If you're going 75' to the trough, not much difference at all.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Ideally, you don't want a shock leader for metal. There's no need for it and all it will do is hurt your distance. Some do use a few feet of flouro, though, when casting for Spanish as they supposedly have excellent sight. if they are out there in numbers it probably doesn't make a ton of difference though.... but that's just my amateur opinion.

How much weight do you plan on throwing while bottom fishing? If not much more than 4 oz. you probably don't need the shock leader at all if you are planning on using 20+ pound braid. I think you can easily use this setup for both applications.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Another thought... if you are planning on throwing much more than 4oz for bottom fishing, you might have trouble finding a rod that has a sweet spot for both bottom fishing and throwing metal. For metal you will likely want the sweet spot to be in the 2 oz range. I have a 10' shimano rated 1 - 3 oz. It will smoke a 2 oz stingsilver and it will handle 4 oz for bottom fishing with no problem.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Remember that even for big reds, many people on here use 15# or 17# mono. 20# braid would do just fine, especially considering the increased line capacity.

I'm with rocket, if you're looking to throw more than 4oz you need to look into a second setup. Anything with a light enough whip to shoot small metals out will fold over with heavier lead and bait. Not to mention the reels best suited to each type of fishing are different.

JMHO

Evan

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well went ahead and picked up a new rod and reel today and pretty happy with 'em. Went with a deal for a Shimano Sedona 8000 FB, and opted for the bigger rod, 12' Ugly Stick, for now. Nice since it came with a good extra spool so I'll probably put 20' braid pp on that one and I had the other spooled with 16# mono. Took that out tonight (with the mono) and not a ton of luck with that setup. My biggest problem I was having was shock knot break offs, not sure if its due to the knot or casts but broke it off twice. I had no problems with my baitrunner and 10' though, both running 40# shockleaders tied using albright knots. Maybe its the smaller size of the guides on the 12' but just wasn't doing well with it. :confused: Well might switch the baitrunner to the 12' and the sedona on the 10' and give that a try.

Any tips on the shockleader knot? Aggravating since I hadn't had that problem at all with my other set up.

Well good news is I was still pulling in the fish on my other set-up :)

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Check the Scientific Proof, Drum Fishing 101, Easy Short Spider and AKs Bimini threads in the Bible. They will tell you about shock knots. Also make sure you have the shocker wrapped 8-10 full wraps on the spool with the knot itself set at the back of the spool closest to the frame.

Evan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.