Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might be a dumb question. When do the finger mullet typically begin to show up? I'll be down this coming week and will have my net with me. I need to catch some bait. If mullet are not around I would assume I should go after mud minnows?

I usually do not fish down there in the Spring. My coastal fishing trips take place in the fall...when the mullet are everywhere.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,417 Posts
I talked to my mom today (she/dad have been at MB for a couple of weeks now), and she fishes for them with hook and bait in one of the campground lakes (Pirateland). She says there are lots of small ones in those lakes right now making the water boil, but she didn't mention seeing any in the surf. She's also catching some bigger ones right now (dad said in the 12-15 inch range, which is a little big for them in those lakes this time of year), so maybe there will be more around this year.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Has anyone seen any mullet around Cherry Grove in the inlet? I am heading there in a couple weeks. Was hoping to net some. Gonna fish for three days straight.:fishing: And maybe drink a beer or twelve!

·
Registered
149 Posts
just got back on easter from mb. didn't see any in the surf, but as bubba stated they were in the lakes at pirateland. on my first cast with the net i got about 8. smallest was about four inches and the largest around 10 inches. after that they became harder to catch, but they were still there. funny thing was i caught mine in a lake that has a channel that runs straight to the ocean, didn't catch any in the other earthbound lakes.

·
Registered
831 Posts
No finger mullet in the surf till mid July and not an appreciable amount till August. Small mullet in the creeks at early June. What is around now are few and far between. Although corncobs anf up are available.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.