Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
weve got a pier on base housing here that is great for catching shrimp and bait.i go everyday and a few times ive caught some huge jumping mullet in the cast net. the last one i got with the net was just shy of 20 inches and it was jerking the net around like crazy. they would be a blast on light tackle. My question is, is there a way to catch them on hook and line?

·
Registered
462 Posts
I've been wondering that for a long time also.From what ive read the mullets only eat aquatic plants.If we could only figure out how to put those things on a hook :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
?

i wish we could. someone told me once that you could catch them on small flies but i havent tried it yet.i was just wondering if there is a proven method for catching the little boogers

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
spear fishign for them might be sort of neat. Idk if they are a species that would lend themselves to being speared, as they aren't predators and spend their entirely lives swimming away from everything else.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Mullet

When I was young, we had areas up in the mouth of the River where we hook and line fished for mullet. I guess that people still fish for them up there.

We would chum the area with cowfeed or laying mash in a burlap bag. We would fish with a tiny hook baited with a tiny piece of fat pork. Some people used red worms, Bread works but doesn't stay on hook.

I have caught them on a small white fly after heavily chumming the area. You have to be generous with the chum. The idea is to make the water almost murky and get them to feeding. Mullet are spooky and you have to use stealth.

A mullet, when hooked, goes crazy and will give you a good fight. C2

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
What Charlie2 said...

As a youngen living next to the Nuese River in New Bern,my sisters and I caught them on earthworms and a canepole.. We'd catchem as big as 3lbs or so,bring them home and Mom would cookem up..
Water was pretty clear there back then.. We had a boardwalk that edged around the river nearby the old bridge.. It had about 2' of concrete along the edge with about a 1 of water over it.. When the sun would get high in the middle of the day big jumping mullet would come out on these concrete ledges to sun.. My buds and I would sneek up to the edge and throw bricks at them.. Once and a while,we'd actually hit one. We'd crawl down over the ledge and get him off the bottom..
Not that this would be the most affective maner to catchem,but it sure was fun...:D

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Hahaha that is awesome. Tossin bricks at mullet sounds like something I would've done too. Where they good to eat? They seem like they would be boney and maybe oily?

·
Registered
173 Posts
My biggest in the cast net was 2.5 pounds this summer out of a canal. I usually catch the big ones by accident, but there's no mistaking it when you have one in the net.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Mullet

Mullet are the best eating fish around; deep fried with hushpuppies and slaw. I have eaten salt mullet with grits for breakfast,

The big ones are coarse and I don't eat them. The best are about a pound or less.

You have to keep them on ice and eat them fresh. I've seen thrm frozen and they turn mushy and unfit to eat when thawed. IMO,

We used to pack mullet in layers with salt and ship them in wooden barrels somewhere up North.

BTW; they are referred to as 'Biloxi Bacon'.

Try them and I know that you'll like them. C2

·
Registered
289 Posts
Eatin' Mullet

We eat them during the summer while we're on Hatteras Island. Clean and cook them while they're fresh and they are good. We filet and fry them and they taste like any other fish.

My brother-in-law swears that the ones in the salt water of the Pamlico Sound taste a lot better than the ones he catches in the Chowan River/Albemarle Sound.

·
Super Moderator
2,093 Posts
I dunno....if this brick tossin stuff catches on, there's gonna be some cast net makers losing money.;):D

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
I dunno....if this brick tossin stuff catches on, there's gonna be some cast net makers losing money.;):D
Brick makers would love us though.. :D

Jeep Mike,once you're down here awhile you'll see most natives here love em some mullet...
They eat fried and smoked mullet,and "check this out" mullet gizzards... ;) OBTW,the Rodanthe folk like menhaden roe.... :rolleyes:
I love me some fried mullet,but when it comes to the inards,might have to pass on a gizzard..:p:D

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Brick makers would love us though.. :D

Jeep Mike,once you're down here awhile you'll see most natives here love em some mullet...
They eat fried and smoked mullet,and "check this out" mullet gizzards... ;) OBTW,the Rodanthe folk like menhaden roe.... :rolleyes:
I love me some fried mullet,but when it comes to the inards,might have to pass on a gizzard..:p:D
people here love em too...mullet roe in scrambled eggs...i told em id pass for now :D

Jesse

1 - 20 of 30 Posts