Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has deciced she wants her own surf combo.
Problem is I've selected all my rods with particular fish and conditions in mind and what feels good to me.
I don't know the first thing about picking one out for some one else but she loves to go with me and I love her so "what Mama wants, Mama's gonna get".
She's a slender, 5'4"ish design with average, I guess, upper body strength.
We fish Del beaches and recently SPSP for any thing. A bite is a bite and we fish for anything from croaker to rock.
I usually set up with bottom rigs on 4oz. of weight.
My biggest concern is castability. I will be teaching her to cast on this rod.
What factors do you guys think I need to consider? Rod length, action, etc....
Oh, by the way, I've been ordered to find it in purple. Apparently she will catch more fish with a purple stick :D

Thanks,
Kayode (Gregg)

·
Registered
500 Posts
Good luck on the purple. I suggest a white rod, a permanent marker and a cold beer. The bottom line is how much you want to spend on the rig. If she will be fising regularly, spend a bit more. Also remember that you may well "inherit" it if she quits fishing. What would you buy for yourself? Tica, Tsunami, Daiwa in the 10' range would be my choices.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If your looking for something in purple and entry level I would suggest Sports Authority. I saw a black/purple on there last night. It's probably going to be in the range of $25-45 for the rod there.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Wambo and Shoeless, the thought of inheriting it had crossed my mind but I would be afraid to walk on to some piers or beaches wiyh a purple stick.
Otherwise, I'll go all the way wth it. It sounds like a good way to sneak another quality stick into my arsenal.
With the idea of perhaps finding this for Mothers Day, I posted on Md/ Del site and got some good responses there also including some frisky advise from LittleFry,I think, that didn,t have anything to do with finding my wife the right rod combo.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I once bought my wife, what I considered the perfect Valentine's Day gift, a Red Fishing Rod and Red matching reel to go along with it.

She nearly beat me to death with it.

THROW MORE / SOME / ANY / MAYBE A FEW BACK

Jake Ace

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In hopes of getting her to go hunting with me, I bought her camo clothes one holliday.
The whole works, shirt, pants, cover-alls and a coat.
DOLT!

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you really want Purple and money is not an object, try J & B Custom Rods, Marina Shores, Virginia Beach 757-496-2206. He'll make you a purple, pink, or red white and blue, and put a photo or special fish pin in the grip. I have one of his flounder rod and it is by far the best rod out of the 15 I own.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Kayode,
I have a black rod with purple around the eyes (the thread) I got it at dick's and love it. Its a stiff rod that I use mostly for cut bait, but it is not really long enough to be used for surf casting. Don't remember seeing any really long enough, in that color combo. However hubby doesn't believe it is too girly, he likes swiping it to use for shark. They did have smaller/lighter versions of the same. I got it late last summer. Good luck!
Jules
Fish On!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts