Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has deciced she wants her own surf combo.
Problem is I've selected all my rods with particular fish and conditions in mind and what feels good to me.
I don't know the first thing about picking one out for some one else but she loves to go with me and I love her so "what Mama wants, Mama's gonna get".
She's a slender, 5'4"ish design with average, I guess, upper body strength.
We fish Del beaches and recently SPSP for any thing. A bite is a bite and we fish for anything from croaker to rock.
I usually set up with bottom rigs on 4oz. of weight.
My biggest concern is castability. I will be teaching her to cast on this rod.
What factors do you guys think I need to consider? Rod length, action, etc....
Oh, by the way, I've been ordered to find it in purple. Apparently she will catch more fish with a purple stick
Thanks,
Kayode (Gregg)

·
Registered
108 Posts
WELL AS ANOTHER FEMALE FISHER PERSON, WHAT I LIKE TO USE IS NOTHING SPECIAL. jUST A 6' LIGHT TO MED ACTION POLE. PRETTY MUCH GOOD FOR MOST OF WHAT I FISH FOR. EVEN CAUGHT A STRIPER IN NOVEMBER WITH IT. USE IT FOR SALT AND FRESH. BUT PURPLE????? WHAT'S UP WITH THAT?

DG

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I couldn't tell you Goddess. She's explained to me that "everything' should be made in purple but I don't get it.
I'm afraid the 6' salt/fresh combo might be a little short and light for the surf and currents we fish and we manage to hook far more skate and skarks than we do dinner.
I'm wondering where the cross over is between castability/contol vs. fighting power.
Thanks for your input on the matter. :D

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
If you fish the surf at Delaware, you will need at least a 10' rod (and a tall surf tube) that will cast from 3-6 ounces and handle at least 15-20 lb test line. I would not try to use anything smaller than that for surf fishing. This size works great at SPSP or Matapeake too.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks SandCrab,
Those sticks are along the lines I fish with but how easily will it be to teach my wife on one.
Would a shorter or longer rod be easier for her to learn on? Is more or less than 4oz. easier to cast? I don't mind buying a rod for her now that would be ideal to learn on and than another a year or two from now more ideally to fish with.
I don't have any spare money but it's important to me that she has a good time and becomes confident to cast, especially on a croded surf or inlet.
Do I need to spend more than $80 or $90 on her first combo?
I also think a 2 piece would be more convenient for her.
Any more thoughts?

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I bought my wife a 10' combo years ago. Although she does not fish with my all the time, she still remembers how to use it. It is not hard to master. Distance will come with time and practice.

Get her the 10' stick and you will not be unhappy in the surf. This length (and a tall rod tube) is needed to keep your line from slapping on the breakers in the ocean and making your rod tip bounce like crazy. You can get away with a shorter rod if you do not plan on fishing the surf - just the bay.

$80-90 is really cheap for a combo. Most of the cheaper rods go for at least $50 to $60 dollars. Even the 10' Ugly Stick my wife has cost that - and then there's the reel price. You get what you pay for. IHMO - The reel is the most important part of the combo.

Just my .02 :)

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
For 'cheap' combo around 100 dollars, check out http://www.digitaldagger.com. Probaly has the lowest price on the web if you don't mind paying shipping... you maybe able to get him to waive that for you if you email him first or call.

Combo 1
Daiwa Sealine X 10' rod and Okuma AV65

Combo 2
Okuma IM6 Graphite Rod 10' and Okuma AV65

·
Registered
254 Posts
I agree with Sandcrab. A 10'rod would be good for her. I am also a small lady but I can kick BUTT in casting my 15'rod. Take her some where that is not crowded and let her practice casting. Once you learn your rod and your rod learns you, it will never let you down. Perfect casting everytime. You won't believe this but it takes 1 hr. to pick out a rod in the store.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LittleFry, it takes me an hour chit-chatting with the cashier before I ever get back to start looking at tackle or gear.
I thank you guys for the input.
A 10 footer it will be then with a suitable reel for 10lb to 30lb line, get her on a secluded beach ....wait I'm thinking heck with casting practice.She and I can do that another time,we left the kids at home and we've got the whole beach to ourselves.
Thanks Guys and Gals, You might have helped our marriage as much as our rod selection. :D :D :D
This whole idea just keeps getting better.

·
Registered
21 Posts
as far as the purple thing I have seen that the ande tounament rods that have been out this year have the guides wrapped in purple. I know that you can find them at dick's in columbia and if you look you can find them on ebay cheap. looks just like the diawa eliminator but with purple. hope you can get something to make mama happy. I know my wife goes with me all the time which is nice but you have to make mama happy

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Wait till they discover surf fishing at night is even better than the daytime. :eek:

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
At SSP,Matapeake,and 3rs(Deleware ocean surf) you will need a 10'-13'surf rod for casting distance and or keeping the line above the crashing waves.But, at certin places like the Choptank or Cape Henlopen(Deleware) where short distance casting and calmer waters are the thing;you can use the 6'rod.It all depends on where you are going to fish. ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts