Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be down in Va. Beach this weekend for a conference Saturday and will throw the rod and some flys in the car. You guys that have a lot more local experience than myself might be able to tell me how soon fishing picks up after a blow like Bill passes through.:confused: I know with trout in mountain streams the barometric pressure before and after storms impacts fishing. Does it have effects on fishing, say, at Lynnhaven Inlet? say, Saturday afternoon? Maybe after 1600 hrs.?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Flyfisher,

Fly fishing has been slow but not saying that there aren't fish to be had. If you are going to fly fish there are a couple of areas you can go. The first is Lynnhaven Inlet, near the bridge on the bay side (to many people on the inlet side) or on the Duck Inn side, both sides of the bridge on the duck in side. In either case watch for people, as they do not watch for or know about fly fishing and will walk right into your fly line and fly. Had a lady that I even saw still walk right into my line on her walk back towards the bay one day after she even stopped and talked to me. She even asked why I stopped casting as she approcahed the fist time. And watch out fo the tidal flow at the bridge, way wicked at the high point of tidal flow, will sweep you off your feet if not careful. Also if you go on the other side of Crab Creek at Lynnhaven Inlet you can wade a good piece up the back side of the inlet there at low tide. It is fishable at high tide but you will not be as close to the small channel (4 to 5 foot deep channel) at high tide. The channel is right next to the grass line opposite the opening to Crab Creek there. The point were it starts is a good place to put your first fly and then work you way (to the right) back into the inlet towards the woods. Was kayak fishing there this past weekend and saw plenty of fish but no takers on the fly. But be carefull, there are few drop offs that will take you beyond the 3 or 4 foot wading depth.

Other than that, you can fish the croatan side of the inlet at the ocean front. There is a nice spot to cast right new the rocks and also along the old wooden jetty onthe croatan side. Also, Sandbridge offers up some nice spots if you can read the beach. Have done well there in past years, but have not fished there much this year. You can also go to the Seashore state park and fish there. Pleanty of wading to do, lots of sandy bottom and you can get to a ouple of nice oyster bars to the right of the boat launch if you wanna wade that far. But again watch your step the channel drops off quickly there as well.

As for flies, Clousers and Decievers. Most colors work fine, but most productive are chartruese over white, olive over white and green over chartruese. Also, I like black over orange. Fish to be caught this time of year, some small puppy drum, blues, flounder, croaker ( don't count these guys out, great fight in these little guys), flounder and if the timing is right, maybe some trout, both gray and speck. But have only heard of a gray or two caught as of late. Specks are due here soon. As for size of hook, anything from a 2 to 2/O is good for the inlet fishing. Depends on what you want. Throw a few different flies and see what they might be eating.

As for rod and reel, a 7/8wt is the best for the inshore. Might be a bit presumpuious here, not sure what you background is in relating to saltwater flyfishing. You mentioned you were a trout stream kind of guy. Anything less than a 7/8 wt might not beenough if you catch anything of size and there were some fish of size and a lot of rays back in the inlet side.

I hope this helps you out. Let me know how you did. Maybe if you come back this way again we can get together and fly fish. Would go with you this weekend but am headed out of town. Good luck.

Darrell
"Va_Yakfisherman"

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Darrell, I started saltwater fly fishing last year and I've fished Lynnhaven several times, most with some success. I use a 9 wt. with a Teton 9/11 reel (need the 275 yds of backing for Albies). Clousers have worked well for me nut most of my success at Lynnhaven has been on a Glass Minnow immatation. Thanks for the other wading tips as well. Everything I've read so far for Va. beach down through Oregon Inlet, the fishing has been spotty for wading.

Its pretty interesting coming off the Shenandoah National Park streams where a large Brookie is 12 inches caught on a 6.5 ft. 3 wt. on a dry and going to a 9'9" 9wt. catching flounder, trout, and puppy drum on a sinking line with a heavy fly. Each has its own appeal and lots of fun, just worlds apart in experience!:D I think some day I may plan a brutal Virginia "Grand Slam", catching Brook Trout, Smallmouth Bass, and puppy drum on a fly in one day. Just a personal accomplishment thing and should be a heck of a lot of fun with a couple of guys making it a party from dawn to dark.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts