Pier and Surf Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've never stayed at any of the campgrounds down in the OBX......usually night fish and stay all day/night where I'm fishing, or I pull off near Ramp 59 on Ocracoke and use the small parking lot about 1 mile south of the ferry.
I thought they close the OSV at 9pm from May 1st to mid november, I've always walked on at night

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Fours years on Portsmouth, however, the $300 ferry fee and distance is too much for me. Plus, I'm good with 3-4 days of fishing and we'd spend a week down there. Bad weather trapped us on the island twice, so, I'm happy having Hwy 12 to just escape back home at a moments notice (unless it floods of course). Usually I'm south Ocracoke watching my other buddy's fishing the north end of Portsmouth :)
Those are the big drawbacks right there: the ferry is expensive and the weather can close down the ferry. But the isolation makes it attractive to me and I've caught more and bigger fish there (just a personal experience, not saying that's the case for everyone). Plus after going for over 20 years you start to see and get to know the same ol' group of fisherman.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
Another successful trip out to Portsmouth. Fishing was slow but met an old friend out there and pasted the time drinking a few beers and watching big sharks and rays pull our rigs out onto the continental shelf. Camper did great again, frig was a little slow to start working, but it finally did fine. Deep cell batteries and big solar panels continue to be a great upgrade and power was never an issue, even with my two younger boys playing the PS4/TV a lot.

Guys thinking about getting a truck camper need to pull that trigger, this is still the one big investment that has made my surf fishing experiences so much better. Weather was supposed to get real nasty the next two days after we got off the island, high wind and rain, felt bad watching folks get off the ferry that were intending to tent camp.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Old post but maybe original poster can let me know the digital antenna he's using? I was just on Portsmouth with my RV and couldn't get one channel! Mine is taped to the inside of the bunk house window but seems to work fine in other areas. Scanned many times during my 7-day trip and never got one channel. Ughhhhhhh.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts