Pier and Surf Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Had a great trip out to Portsmouth Island. Caught some nice slot Puppy Drum and drank some cold beer.

New batteries did great in the camper, power level never dropped below 80%.

Anybody tossing around the idea of getting a truck camper, do it, best money spend on fishing ever!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
What size lift do you have on the truck?

It's a 4" Pro Comp suspension left with 35" x 12.5" tires and 20" wheels. I didn't want to go tall when I did it because of pulling my boat, horse trailer, and various other pulling duties. It's about perfect with the camper. I have Lift Master air bags on the rear and run them at 90-psi with the camper on. I also put in 4.88 gears when I did the lift and replaced the factory limited slip differential with a Detroit Locker (it had 3.73's from the factory).

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Updated the rear lights to LED. Was kinda worried driving home at night in the rain the other week that I would get rear-ended because the old incandescent bulb type bulbs weren't very bright. This iphone pic makes them look much brighter than they actually are (like the brakes are on), but they are much brighter than they were before.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Going on my 15th year since getting my 4x4 motorhome, and as Coldbeer just said, ain't nothing like bad weather to make the investment soooo worth it! Nice rig and hope to see you on the Point or Ocracoke this spring.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Going on my 15th year since getting my 4x4 motorhome, and as Coldbeer just said, ain't nothing like bad weather to make the investment soooo worth it! Nice rig and hope to see you on the Point or Ocracoke this spring.
You ever try Portsmouth? I'm telling you, it's better. The point is way too crowded and Ocracoke is only a little less crowded. Portsmouth is just a little harder to get on and off (small private ferry and the channel sometimes is not passable due to weather), but I have always caught more and bigger fish there.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Fours years on Portsmouth, however, the $300 ferry fee and distance is too much for me. Plus, I'm good with 3-4 days of fishing and we'd spend a week down there. Bad weather trapped us on the island twice, so, I'm happy having Hwy 12 to just escape back home at a moments notice (unless it floods of course). Usually I'm south Ocracoke watching my other buddy's fishing the north end of Portsmouth :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Do you stay at Beachcomber or the NPS campground when your at Ocracoke. We are heading down in late May for the week and wanted to check out some of the campgrounds while there

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've never stayed at any of the campgrounds down in the OBX......usually night fish and stay all day/night where I'm fishing, or I pull off near Ramp 59 on Ocracoke and use the small parking lot about 1 mile south of the ferry.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts