Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fished at an undisclosed location on the peninsula this morning from 5 am - 6:45 am. Non-stop striper action! I caught (and released) about a dozen schoolies on a Yo-Zuri popper, of which the biggest fish measured 27" 8 lbs. Just as many fish got away or wouldn't hook themselves, and I spent a little too much time unhooking the two treble hooks from the fish. At sunrise, 6 am the bite all but stopped (surprise, surprise) and so I tied on a small Rebel instead. The few stripers that were still around just seemed to toy with it, but I did catch a flounder before deciding to head home.

It was a beautiful sunrise with almost no wind and nobody else around, which is the way I like it. I must've donated a pint of blood to the mosquitoes, but with fishing this good, I didn't really care :D

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Lars,PM me.I am getting to my boiling point,also with fishing holes getting conjested and pillaged!Would love to hook up with a striper on my lite tackle!I will bring the BUG Juice.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NS4D, I understand how you feel and I'm sympathetic. Summer crowds make me :mad: Check your PMs and just ask if you have any questions. And don't let the whole world know about this place, ok ;) As you'll see when you get there, it can't comfortably support more than 2-3 fishermen at one time and I fear that access could even be restricted if it becomes too popular.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Was Willoughby Spit ever a "secret" place? Anybody who knows anything about shore fishing and drives across the HRBT will immediately see that it must be a productive spot. But I guess that this board has made it more popular than it ever was. Still, if you put yourself out of phase with the rest of the world and fish at night and early in the morning you can usually avoid the worst crowds, even in the city, plus the fishing is usually an order of magnitude better at night anyway. It can be a pain to get up at 3 or 4 in the morning, but the potential rewards are great.

I always try to get off the beaten path and that's how I found my "secret" place. You gotta work a little bit to get to this spot as well, which is probably what keeps most people unaware of it's existence. I don't think it's any better or worse than other fishing spots around here, but at least I can fish there in peace.

I don't know, maybe I should move to Australia after I graduate :) Scandinavia is fine as far as crowds go, but I've had enough of those long, dark, and cold winters.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
I think the secret was what and when the fish came in.I still think people can come in and bottom fish for trout,flounder,which in all fairness is there right,and can be lucky to catch them with that method.But when it affects the way other methods of trying to fish for them(there little secret),then I think thats where the problem is.

P

·
0 Posts
Nserch4Drum

You just hit the nail on the head with that theory.

I also feel even though the area is easily visible from the bridge, not many people would know it's not considered private property. So a lot of people have steered clear not wanting to risk being sited for trespassing. And not knowing exactly where to park and which path to take has kept many newbies away as well until.......I shouldn't have to paint anyone a picture.

The way I see it, the old timers, (not by age but by registration date), set an example that we could follow. That is....not giving away many of the particulars. Especially pre fishing. Now after the fact, way after the fact....there's a thought. And remember there is always the "Private Message" option.

Comparison: PM vs Fishing Spot..."use it" or "lose it."

Just my 2 cents of course. I can put a bucks worth in if need be. :D

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I admit that I had had my eyes on the Spit since last fall, but I only started going there this spring after I found out that there's public parking space nearby. Now, of course, I already had a couple of favorite quiet fishing spots so I never had a very pressing urge to fish the Spit.

With all the coastline around Hampton Roads, it's too bad that so little of it is available for shore anglers and that finding a parking spot is such a pain. No wonder it gets crowded. I wish residents and officials would have a little more relaxed attitude to life and not be so paranoid. Some of the stupid rules you see everywhere should also be made away with. I mean, surf fishermen are quite capable of taking care of themselves and don't need to be tucked in after dark or be told not to step on the rocks like some 5 year old kid.

I've read some of the North Eastern surf fishing boards and it seems like access is getting harder and harder there as well.

"Civilization"...you just gotta love it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts