Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was bored at school so i figured id start a post. what is your most memorable time you had fishing, biggest fish, fishing with kids, whatever. Mine was in the outer banks a couple years ago in october. it was a nasty day, or a perfect day for fishing. i landed a 25in. puppy drum and took it back to the house and went out again. after fishing a little while longer a hooked something really big. after about 30 min. of fighting it i landed a 5 1/2 foot shark. it was awesome. i ran to the house to get my grandparents and a camera. we snapped some photos and put it back in. that was the most memorable time ive ever had.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
The most memorable fishing time that I have ever had happened about 5 years ago. It was in july of 1999 and I never really livelined before until that day. It just turned night and I was fishing at the Town Creek Marina fishing pier in Solomon's Island. I remember catching a nice flounder on a small spot a year prior to this trip. So I threw out a very tiny spot with a split shot on a small rod with 8 lb test designed to catch spot. A minute later my line is running underneath the pier and breaks off. I do the same thing again and got the same result, runs underneath the pier and breaks off. I go to a bigger rod and reel with 20lb test. Immediately hook-up with a nice 22 inch rockfish. You wouldn't believe the action that night. Everytime I put out a live bait, spot, croaker, bunker, perch, it didn't matter as they all resulted in a hook-up. I must have landed 25-30 keepers and lost twice as many. All fish were 20-25 inches and very fat. There were 4 of us on that trip and we limited out easily and I gave away the other fish. It was non-stop action until day break. The crazy thing was that I was the only one catching the fish. I only saw one other rockfish caught the entire night. The other people on the pier were still using cut bait and for some reason didn't switch to live bait. An unbelieveable night of fishing that I will remember for the rest of my life. That was why I was so sadden when I found out the pier was closed this year. I grew up fishing on that pier. The restaurant that owned that pier closed so the pier itself closed. Maybe one day the restaurant will open back up and so will the pier. Anyway that was my most memorable fishing trip.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Being a "critter" catcher of sorts when I was a kid (the whole garage was full of turtles/frogs/snakes/etc). Used to stay at Nagshead every year for 6 weeks in the summer, due to my Mom taking care of 2 kids with extreme allergies, and had to be there for lack of trees/pollen.

Rode out a hurricane the second year down, guess I was about 12. The next day after, kept seeing something in the very oversized waves.... I followed and watched, followed and watched, etc, and finally waded out and took a "grab" for it :eek:
Much to everyone’s surprise (especially my Mom :rolleyes: ), walked back from the surf with a 5-6 foot hammerhead, alive and kicking :D

Have a B&W pic of me holding it at her house somewhere.....

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Three equally memorable, but not fishing, sorry, marrying my wife of sixteen years and the births of my two daughters, yet it ain't just about fishing. ;)

Have Jeep will travel.

·
Registered
51 Posts
kids never seem to amaze

Went camping last summer at Gwynnes Island and took the kids fishing on the pier. Placed my son at the end of the pier with my $200 pole and went to help daughter and nephew with their poles.

By the time I had them set up, baited, and cast out, I heard a huge splash.

Turned around and was missing my son. He had fallen asleep at the end of the pier holding the pole. Nice sized croaker got ahold and pulled the pole and my son in. Talk about a wake up call.

The sad part,

by the end of the trip, my son had lost my pole. Lucky me.:( :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
My most memorable time was actually pretty recent. In fact it was yesterday. It isn't really the most memorable time for a good reason but **** happens. Anyway I was fishing for stripers in the lower james. Not much was happening for a bout an hour and then peak high tide was in and I saw the most stripers I have ever seen at once (and they were big). There was only one problem...no one was catching any of them. I was just fishing with a jig and these other 2 guys had about 5 minnows in the water at different levels and we caught nothing. I had two bites but never managed to get the hook set and one of the other guys had his minnow taken off the hook. Although this may not sound fun it was. It was exciting seeing all the stripers come to the surface swimming with such speed. Yeah, it would have been a lot more fun if I would have caught a keeper or just a fish at all but I got my keeper the day before so I wasn't too discouraged. Welp that's my story. Later.

·
Registered
206 Posts
my most memorable time was the first time i stayed up all night and saw the sun come up over the bay. i am 21 years old and have stayed up all night many time with my job and such, but there was something about fishing all night and seeing the sun break the sbore line. i didn't catch anything to brag about i just fished and shot the bull with everyone around me.

dan lee

fish til it hurts

1 - 8 of 8 Posts