Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Remember the trip that I tried to get together back in late Feburary for the Morning Star, well, my brother and me fished it yesterday and you folks missed the trip of a lifetime. We left the dock at 6:45AM on a sold out boat. An hour later we started fishing some of Capt. Monty's secret wrecks (artificial reefs). By 10:00AM both my brother and me had already caught half our limit of sea bass (limit is 25 ea. @ 12"). Since we didn't want to limit out so quickly we upped the size to 15", anything smaller went back. By 11:00AM both of us only needed another 6 or 8 fish each to limit out so we again upped the size to 20". By 12:30PM we reached our limit with many sea bass going 22". We released at least that many fish including 4 female tog that were full of roe that went around 8 lbs.

We had planned on fishing the Rt.50 bridge that night for blues but after reeling in over 50 fish each (many doubles) we were too tired so we went back to the motel, took a shower, went back to the boat to pick up the fish that the mate cleaned then went to JR's Ribs for a nice steak dinner. What a great way to end a perfect day on the water.

We booked three more trips for July, August and September.

Catman. :D :D :D ;)

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Joey...I'm not sure when Capt. Monty targets sea trout but I'll email him and find out. I think it's in the fall but just going from past memory.

FlounderFinder...The Morning Star is out of West Ocen City. Here's their web page for your info.web page.

Catman.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I also went out on the Morning Star but on 5/9 and did well. I went with my girlfriend and we both limited out on sea bass. We had to work a little to get out limit. It was a little slow compared to your trip and the trip that they had on 5/8 but was still well worth the money. I also caught a 7 pound tautog that tied for the pool, it was a male for those conservationalists who want to know. Hell of a trip wasn't it Catman. I will probably go again in the fall.
-Anthony

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anthony...Glad you guys also limited out. Yes it was one hell of a trip. A 9 1/4 lb male tog won the pool on our trip. Monty is a little sensitive about anyone keeping females. My brother and me didn't start fishing for the tog until we limited out on sea bass. That's when we started using green crabs that were in the white barrel. We also caught a pollack which Chris said had to go back and a rosy bass. I'd never seen or heard of them before. Going on trip with Monty is just as good as private charter. The personal attention that he and the mate give you is unheard of on headboat fishing. I think it's the best $70.00 you'll ever spend fishing. As the word gets out most of his trips will be booked weeks in advance.

Catman.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts