Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Just got back from a weekend in Morehead. Got down there late on Friday and went straight over to Radio Island to check things out. It was just getting dark but we managed a few small specks and one nice grey. So we decided that that would be a good place to try again in the morning. The next morning we got there about 8 and had the place to ourselves because the weather was lousy. The tide was coming in and there wasn’t much going on for most of the morning until a small school of albies rolled in. These were definitely the large fall fish some pushing 20 pounds, pushing silversides right to our feet of course we couldn't get them to hit anything we were able to throw at them in the 2 minutes that they hung around. It was a beautiful sight and lifted our spirits enough to stick it out through the crappy weather. About the time that the tide was changing we started catching a few blues and these finally gave way to the small specks. By now the locals are showing up because they obviously new that the outgoing tide is best. Luckily having been there all day we had dibs on the best hole and proceeded to catch small speck after small speck and occasionally a keeper. The action on Sunday was much slower but we did manage to get some more fish. By the end of the weekend we had caught well over a 100 fish and kept about 30 between 4 of us so we had a great time and look forward to trying it again next year.

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
Don't know what you threw at those albies,but it's been a couple of yrs since I pulled on one over 15 and about 20 something since I pulled on one over 20lbs... I'da been throwing everything but the kitchen sink ta get a bite...:p

I've seen times,even though they are just hitting glassminnows or smallish bait,that they would jump on a big gator or crock cause of the flash... Don't know what all you threw,but I'da been going nuts.... :D

Sounds like ya caught the devil outta some fish though.... :)

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We caught most of the fish down near the navy training area. And yeah it was frustrating but still an awesome site. I have caught them on the fly in a boat but this was the first time I had ever seen them on the shore like that. We were mostly throwing spoons but the fish were so close that we kept overthrowing them. So then I put on that small miro lure that looks like a glass minow and by then they were gone. I think if I had started with that I may have had a chance but who knows. It was still a great trip and the trout made a great diner last night on the grill. Anybody have any more trout recipes though?

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We caught over a 100 specks over the weekend most came from right there. The ones we kept have made some excelent meals this week. Out of 30 keepers I only have 5 left so I might have to come back down and do it again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts