Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading a lot about different knots to attach a shock leader to your rig.

1. What is a shock leader and why is it needed?

2. Couldn't you just connect a shock leader using a swivel, or would the two knots required cause a "weak link" in the rig.

3. Went out to Playalinda 8 Saturday the 16th, and was using a double drop rig with a 3 oz pyramid sinker. I found my line being swept from right to left most of the time. Am I not using enough weight, or will surf conditions do this regardless of what weight sinker I use.

4. What is a good, general purpose hook size to use, and should I use circle hooks in the surf.

Appreciate any info y'all could provide.

Haven't exactly been burning up the surf my last few outings, but the way I figure it, even if I don't catch anything...I'm still at the beach!

·
Registered
320 Posts
1. What is a shock leader and why is it needed?
shock leader should be twice the length of your rod and able to make 4-6 turns around the spool. Its test should be 10# for every ounce of weight you are throwing. i.e 3 oz lead you would use 30# shock. You would then be able to use a lighter main line for better casting.....15-20.

2. Couldn't you just connect a shock leader using a swivel, or would the two knots required cause a "weak link" in the rig.
[color =green]You definitely want to use a know and not a swivel for it will tear you tip guide off passing through.[/color]

3. Went out to Playalinda 8 Saturday the 16th, and was using a double drop rig with a 3 oz pyramid sinker. I found my line being swept from right to left most of the time. Am I not using enough weight, or will surf conditions do this regardless of what weight sinker I use.
In them situations you would want to use a breakaway sinker. I sometimes have to use up to a 5oz breakaway to hold out there.

4. What is a good, general purpose hook size to use, and should I use circle hooks in the surf.
I personally use 1/0 to 2/0 eagleclaw or Owner circle hooks, the hookup ratio is higher in my opinion. If blues are running I will use a 4/0 for them.

Hope this helps a little!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tnanks for all the good info!

I forgot that that shock leader joint would have to make the trip through all the line guides and would probably have a hard time getting through the small one on the tip.

Gonna have to expand my inventory of sinkers. My heaviest one right now is 3 oz.

Just another reason to buy more fishing stuff!

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Sputnik Sinker

Get one of these next time your having trouble holding out there in a strong current. They are sold at most of the tackle shops around the area.

This is the Generic version of a Sputnik. You must bend the wires out yourself.

What is a sputnik sinker?

Sputnik sinkers have retractable wires held in place with plastic
beads. They come in 2, 4, and 6-ounce sizes. The wires dig way into the sand keeping them in place when regular sinkers will not hold.When you reel back in, the wires will come out of their slots and disengage, so you can get your sinker back in without breaking your line. These sinkers are really wonderful when the surf is so rough nothing else will hold.

Hope it helps you out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.