Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to hook up with some Monster Cats this weekend. I usually have trouble keeping chicken livers on the hooks. What do you guys use for bait? I will be fishing the Potomac by Fletchers. I am going to try circle hooks for the first time. Last time I was there I saw a 25# cat caught. I want some of that action. He kept it, but I will certainly not. As of now, I am planning on using cut herring. Any other suggestions?? :D

·
Registered
720 Posts
Try using chicken hearts instead of liver. It will stay on the hook a lot better. Do you need a DC license to fish that area or will an MD fresh water one do? I've also read that it's not that easy to get to by car since you gotta park a good distance away. Is this true?

·
Registered
399 Posts
a good ole fashion nightcrawler or my favorite "crawdads" always works for me. The other option would be Clamsnouts. if you want to use the chicken livers put them in a stocking and hook it you will save your bait from nibbles and i will hold longer

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WW -- I think I will give the chix hearts a try. I usually park at Fletchers boat house and walk about 300 yards up stream. Access is easy. You do need a DC license.

DOF - I have used spawn sack out west to hold cured salmon eggs for big rainbows, but I haven't seen the netting around here. Maybe cabelas has it. I have used pantyhose but there has to be an easier way.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
chiken gizzards worked for me 2 weeks ago 3 nice 4 to 7 pd cats tidal river too now thats some good eatn :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.