Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought some #50 spiderwire to try as a shock leader instead of the mono I have been using. It really helps on the cast but is very hard on the fingers. Will the lack of line stretch cause a problem for my rigs?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Wouldn't use the braids. Like you said, no stretch and if you don't have titanium guides, will "groove" your guides but good. Need that stretch during a cast and for fighting the fish close at the shoreline.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I am about thru with the miracle braids. Many cuts-now use leather finger protector. Throwing 2-3 oz Kastmaster with 20# PowerPro is a cut everytime. Also, lot of trouble with looping and line twist on Penn 5500 SS Spining reel. Anyone else have trouble with loops and twisted lines? :eek:

·
Registered
25 Posts
At the end of last summer I used the Penn 360 Slammer and 5600L Slammer with 30# Fireline without ANY problems.
However; I did use 30# shocker on the 360 and 50# on the 5600L.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I put some 20# spiderwire stealth on a spanish set up and so far I love it. One thing that I have noticed is the need for a mono shock to eliminate the inevitable cut in the finger. Don't give up on the braid, just add mono.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Shoeless, How does the new Stealth line compare to Fireline.
I have noticed that Gray Fireline is smooth but the lime color Fireline is VERY bummpy. It sounds like mud tires going down the road as it goes thur the tip-top guide.

·
Registered
194 Posts
flistell,

I use a 30# PP (yellow) on a 5500ss and have a similar problem. I use a 15' 40# mono shocker. I am seriously considering changing the PP.

Knots, loops, loss of $$ line, fishing downtime, I've had enough.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Emanuel you have things a little backyards. The braid type line is used as the main/running line on your reel. To this you add what is called a top Shot or Leader of fairly heavy "Mono". It should be approximately 10 lbs breaking strength for every oz of sinker weight or more. In other words if you are casting 5 oz, the leader should be 5 times 10 or 50 lb.
The braid type lines should "not" be used as a leader because they can't take the wear, also there fine diameter can cause serious cuts when trying to handle a big fish once you have it ready to land/beach.
Changeling

·
Registered
500 Posts
Corbina, I have never used fireline, so I can't compare. All I know is that it casts very well and haven't had any issues with wind knots, tip wraps, etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts