Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Tried floro but had a lot of breakoffs. Went back to mono. If anybody knows how to tie that stuff and not have it break, let me know. Like the idear but can't stand to lose a big fish.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
IMO unless you are tying on for lures for spanish th fluro is not needed. For just a heaver tossing bait regular mono is th way I go an its cheaper too.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info, that’s the kind of stuff I was looking for. The article I read had me talked into giving it a try. Anyone else have any first hand experience?:D

·
Registered
432 Posts
I just started using Spiderwire. I can't believe how smooth that
stuff is, no tangles, casts far, but is a little more expensive. :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
Yeap the spiderwire and other braids are fine,but for shock,well when you get a fish in the suds,don't grab it,ya may be in need of a transfusion cause it's GOING TO CUT YOU,gaurantee.. ;) Unless you like wearing gloves all the time...
Cdog's right the stuff is too expensive for shock. Works great as a leader for many things,especially when a fish is line shy or when abrassion to the leader comes into play such as with a spainish or bluefish. I think the reason it's breaking off on you Ken,is because it's not designed to be shock. It has less stretch and a shocker needs that especially on a "well loaded" cast,IMHO.. With reg mono such as Trilene or Ande(which are good brands for shock,IMHO)you should inspect it for nicks about everytime you reel in. If do this,you will have less breakoffs and won't loose your "fish of a lifetime",as long as you tie good knots...

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Drumdum! If you don’t mind another question (since you mentioned it) Knots! I currently use an improved Albright knot and other than its size, compared to other knots it’s preformed very well. Practically all break offs have been in the shock leader itself or at the connection to whatever I am throwing. What are your thoughts on the best shock leader knots and connecting leader to tackle?
I have had battles with several large car hoods and conducted some testing during a couple of the battles. I was trying to see how much pressure I could apply before a failure would occur and to my surprise the knot held. I am a big fellow and at times I was applying so much pressure I would of ended up on my @$$ if something would of let loose (that’s not a pretty picture) at least not with the crowd on the point, had about thirty people standing around waiting to see what I had.
I have been lucky to fish with some great surf fisherman and have learned a lot of good stuff, but still have much to learn!

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
I know ya asked DD but heres my 2 cents.

I use a Bimini when I have th time but most times I use a spider to doulbe th line an use a No name knot to connect to th doulbled line. Its quick and easy.

BTW th knot combo is small enuff that I use it on my 6500 levelwind.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Cdog! If I can scrape up enough penny roles to make the trip this weekend and if you feel like it, maybe you could give me a few pointers on knots? Like I said I have lots to learn.:D

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
OBX Rookie, tell ya what, I'll show ya th spider/no name if ya show me th improved albright. I got lots to learn too! :D

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Will do! Sounding like its going to get cold again this coming weekend, no fun learning knots in that stuff. When are you planning on coming and going or visa a versa.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Heading down after work on th 16th, prolly get down 10-11pm. Coming back mon th 19th at some point. Staying in Frisco so will prolly range from OI to HI but plan on spending more time around HI this time.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Same plans, have a longer ride, so unless I can get a tummy ache and cut out a little early, it will be a little later for me. Not sure on home base yet, so when I nail that down I will let you know.:D

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
"I tie a Bimini when I have th time but most times I use a spider to usedoulbe th line an use a No name knot to connect to th doulbled line. Its quick and easy."

BTW th knot combo is small enuff that I use it on my 6500 levelwind.
Ahhhh! good deal,Cdog,see ya learned the bimini.. ;)
Ya fell in love with the no-name didn't ya? :cool:

OBX Rookie you are having problems breaking that improved albright,because it is one of the stronger knots out there.. :D
I like the double line connection Cdog recomended(Preferably the bimini) because it acts as a shock absorber to the smaller diameter line. I never use a levelwind.. Knots rarely get hung in these newer guides. So therefore a big knot(within reason)is no big problem. My favorite is a bimini to a uni in the double running line and a nail knot in the shocker.It's a "jam knot" like a double uni. This is a knot I have used for many yr,have yet to see it fail.. On the shock to swivel,I use a uni knot. Some folks use improved cinch,palomar,or nail.. I have found the uni to be as good or better than these connections,and for me twice as fast to tie..
I would recomend you tie other connections until you find one that suits you and most importantly is strong,and quick to tie..
I got all my education on knots from "planker people".... :D
If you come down to Frisco with the Dawg,I'll see just how strong your improved albright really is...I love testing.. ;) :D

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
DD can put a test on knots! BTW, I'm bringing Budlight down next weekend, He says I'm stoopid for doulbling my line an prefers a bloodknot! ;) Lookin foward to yall meeting! :D

·
Registered
51 Posts
Two good books on Knots.
"Practical Fishing Knots" By Mark Sosin & Left Kreh $12.95
"The Pocket Guide to Fishing Knots" by Peter Owen $9.95

·
Registered
830 Posts
Blood Knot or albright. Thats the only two I can tie and have confidence in. I have seen no reason to change. Sometimes I have to tie the knot several times before I get it just right but I will take as long as it takes. It makes no sense to fish with a half a$$ tied knot. You never know when the fish of a lifetime is going to bite so what ever you tie, do it carefully and check your shocker and knots often. I don't get a chance to catch big fish often so I like everything right when I get the chance.

·
Banned
1,208 Posts
"Mono or Fluorocarbon shock leader?"

OBXR,

Fluoro is really just for terminal line and/or for terminally line shy fish like Specks or Snook (or in extremely clear water conditions). For shock, I have always used mono, but there are arguments for using braids - the pros-cons of which I'm workin' out for myself, including it doesn't normally break, but stuff might cut your hand off if your not carefull :eek:

To date, I'm not (nor would I recommend) using fluoro for shock leader given expense relative to overall performance. And I'm still working on super braids and their proper applications etc, etc, etc, ... so mono me in the mean time, oh and by the way ...

... here fish this,

`bucket

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
Delboy said:
Two good books on Knots.
"Practical Fishing Knots" By Mark Sosin & Left Kreh $12.95
"The Pocket Guide to Fishing Knots" by Peter Owen $9.95
Delboy,another good one that got me started was Bob McNally's Complete Boook of Knots.. I'm not sure what the price is but it's worth every penny,good guide to knots,IMO..
One thing is for sure though,a knot that is "seen tied" is always better than one from a diagram,IMO.. No substitute for "on the job" training.... :D

1 - 20 of 40 Posts