Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've surf fished for 40+ years and understand when (for me) to use braid vs. mono from the beach... Likely going to do some pier fishing for basic bottom feeder stuff for the cooler (and eventually the dinner plate) in the next several weeks.

Mono or braid for bottom fishing from pier? Not fishing off the end with a big rod. Double dropper for whiting, etc.. also, do you use a leader of any sort?

·
Registered
872 Posts
A lot of piers prefer you to use mono because you really never know what is going to bite and it could drag you up and down the pier increasing the odds that you will tangle with other lines. That being said a fair amount of people feel that braid will "slice" through mono under tension or at the very least tie each in very small knots.

Mono has worked for decades on piers, I use mono. Mono does have some advantages on a pier....it "gives" a little and when you get tangled up with the kid from Ohio who knows nothing about fishing but had $50 burning a hole in his pocket, you are out the cost of mono and not braid.

As for a leader....if you are bottom fishing and casting weight (say greater than 3 ounces) it would be advisable for a "shock" leader. If it is one to three ounces....probably not. If you are dropping over the rail straight down...probably not.

I am sure there are other opinions but those are mine and I sleep good at night.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Was at Rodanthe pier last Nov., there was a sign, no braid allowed on pier.
Asked why that would be at Hatteras Jacks and got a response matching Ray's above.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Mono on the end for drum, kings and cobia when bottom fishing with a heaver or pin rigging. Braid for everything else. Unless it’s prohibited. :(

·
Registered
89 Posts
For bottom fishing for panfish, mono is fine. Less headache when the inevitable tangle occurs, and easier to break off when you need to.

·
Registered
132 Posts
You can handline up a fish if u need to with mono too. That's not gonna happen with braid. Mono is less likely to wind knot or get tangled on your rigs as well

·
Registered
112 Posts
Depends on the pier. Less drag more feel with braid. A 20lb flouro leader never hurt anyone. I personally use braid unless it doesnt fit the situation. Some piers have unwritten rules and following them gets you more help from the locals. Locals know the fish. Most people like to help because it helps them from having any issues.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts