Pier and Surf Forum banner

mono line for the surf

7K views 32 replies 17 participants last post by  ez2cdave 
#1 ·
Im wondering what everybody is using on their surf reels nowadays, in the past it seemed everybody including myself used suffix tritanium.
I thought they quit making it but I see there's tritanium plus. Is it the same as the old?

Last couple years ive been using sakuma with ok results.

What and why is your favorite?

Thanks,
Leadhead

#2 ·
I use a mix which includes Suffix Tritanium 17# because I like something between 15# and 20#. Otherwise I use Berkley Trilene Big Game and have no complaints about it. Using the 17# Suffix allows for more line to be spooled and is stronger than 15# but less than 20#, which is fine with me, I have no desire to land a 10' shark.

#5 ·
I use suffix tri 17#. I will use other things if I get spooled and cannot find it but I really only have good luck with Suffix tri.

IDK if there is an exact difference between the old tri and the tri plus but the tri plus is what is on the shelves and it works well

#6 ·
Im wondering what everybody is using on their surf reels nowadays, in the past it seemed everybody including myself used suffix tritanium.
I thought they quit making it but I see there's tritanium plus. Is it the same as the old?
This thread has some good info . . .

http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/topic/12606-sufix-tritanium-plus-line/

QUOTE:

"The original Tritanium was rather thin for its diameter; that being .40mm/.016" for 20#. The new "Tritanium Plus" has a larger diameter for a given test, with the .45mm/20#, testing near 30#. If you want to go back to the original Tri 20# diameter, drop to #17 Tri Plus. "

END QUOTE:

Also . . .

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewsufixtrit.html

Tight Lines !

#19 ·
You were looking at the International site. With that said I have been using the 19lb .35 line for a couple years because it's available in Gold. The Gold has not been in the US for several years. Why you may ask because it's expensive when bought from across the pond....because the Gold always knotted better, the Chartreuse is a great line but many of us found it to be very "knot slick"...

To the original OP post......Get yourself a small spool of Sufix Tri+ in 17 and 20 and just try it, you won't be disappointed.

#11 · (Edited)
You know it's funny, up until a week or so ago Daves BF F witler ...didn't even know there was a #17 line available. And Dave all he professes is cheap Berkley Big Game... 6.88 for a 1/4 lb spool at Wally World..

Now all of a sudden they BOTH use Suffix Tri in 17#.... How interesting ...

Now from someone who actually fishes regularly....
To answer your question : No it is not the Same ole...
But it is Close though

In my bucket right now you will find Suffix Tri plus in 17 and 20# depending on the reel I'm using dictates which line I run. If I'm using a Daiwa 30 or a Penn 525 I will go 20#. Daiwa 20, Trinidad 14 or my new Penn Fathom 15 then I'm going Suffix Tri 17. I've tried Pro Spec Chrome Sufix Siege which are also great choices. I still prefer Sufix Tri plus.

I have been experimenting with Stren Catfish 15# in Orange (I like the color orange) and like what I have seen. Super Strong and really abrasion resistant, and lays well on my reel. Hard to tell the difference between the Stren and Pro Spec Chrome when side by side.
Caught several Drum this past spring at the point using it.

#17 ·
Thanks for all the responses everybody!!!

Ive looked at rapala and suffix websites and couldnt find my answers.
I use big game or cuda for shock leaders and have no problems with either.

ez2cdave, thanks for sol link, I didnt check there.

DaBig2na, thanks for your input, I like to use suffix siege in orange on my spanish rig.

I have to say the passion for fishing runs deep here and I for one appreciate Everyone's input!!!

Thanks Again to All.
Leadhead

#23 ·
Actually the Sufix I'm referring to is different and only available out of the UK (across the pond). 19# .35 is not sold in any of the shops here in the US...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.