Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
13' casting rig, 4 oz weight, in the field.
Using Berkley BG 15 lb. 140 yds. (cheap $ )
Question:
All else being equal, what gain would one expect in distance/performance buy going to one of the more expensive "higher performance" lines ? (field, or tournament setting)

Also, are there notable differences when in actual fishing conditions ?
Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
13' casting rig, 4 oz weight, in the field.
Using Berkley BG 15 lb. 140 yds. (cheap $ )
Question:
All else being equal, what gain would one expect in distance/performance buy going to one of the more expensive "higher performance" lines ? (field, or tournament setting)

Also, are there notable differences when in actual fishing conditions ?
Thanks
I find bigger differences in distance with line diameter than brand name.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I find bigger differences in distance with line diameter than brand name.
I can clearly see that as well, thanks.
But, "all else being equal", does anyone have any input regarding distance differences ?
Inches may matter in a tourny, but I'm curious regarding any practical, or substantial gains.
Just rough estimates would do, thanks.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Big Game does tend to be stiffer with more memory than the higher end copolymer lines such as Pro Spec Chrome, Sufix Tritanium, Sufix Superior , Sakuma etc. I use Big Game for shockers.
I notice the stiffness too, but it holds up well at the surf. (and is cheap)
Is that the primary preference ? soft straight line as opposed to memorized line with wavy coils ?
Different drag in the air during flight ?
Thanks P,
R

·
Registered
110 Posts
stiffer, thicker line is gonna hold coil memory which is gonna impair distance. Now I've used, and still use, Ande, BG and BPS tightlines and caught a lot of fish, and all are pretty good on abrasion, but all are stiff. Most recent trip I really got noticeable difference out of Tritanium and Stren Hi Vis Gold original. Sakuma is great too, just didn't have it on this time.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
For the casting court it's all about line diameter, not line tensile strength.

For fishing, I like Sakuma copolymer because it has a higher test strength with a low diameter, and that allows more line on the spool that might be needed if a biggie gets hooked. I mostly use Sakuma Night Crystal .35mm .014" 18lbs. That gets a shock leader that's either 50lbs, 60lbs, or 80lbs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts