Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems in that our divine EMS has decided to let property owners back on the island as of 12.00 noon today.
Food Lion just reopened with no fresh vegetables, a limited supply of meats, old milk and bread. No restaurants are open as of yet and resupply to food lion will begin wednesday.
So that means a mad dash for whats left before the sharks get here.
The native people and residents need a couple of days to regroup and get their lives back together.
No phone service past robin Ln. in Frisco. Robin lane has 18" of standing water. Sand on most streets is 3-5 ft. deep, and power is spotty. Have not seen a gas truck and Byran is down to diesel and premium, no regular.
Seems like real estate businesses have dictated policy again, and its going to bite them on their @ss this time.
The island is not ready for people yet that do not live here.
Sorry for venting, but its getting out of hand cause I know the sharks with dollar signs in their eyes are lining up at whale bone junction.
Finally a word of caution, looting on the northern islands has been wide spread, though not published or talked about. If its tried down here a free trip to Manteo in a body bag is what you will get for doing it.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
k-tom

Glad you are alright. Yup it is sad but that is part of america. Preying on others misfortunes. The government should implant some inflation law on them dirtbags. Give me a call up here if you need any help on them looters. I got plenty of jungle warfare techniques I'd love to do again on some scumbags.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I respected the old days "you loot, I shoot". It's getting to where you need a lawyer as a witness for self-defence, (or a Black Belt;) )

Macman

·
Registered
472 Posts
How long do you think it would take to get basic services back up and running, if there were no tourists.

The government wouldn't give a rats azz what happened to you, if it wasn't for tourism.

You complain, before the fact, about prices someone might charge for products that you can't get any other way.

The people who haul much needed products in to you, didn't cause Isabel. They don't owe you a thing.

The alternative is to do without. And if it makes you feel better, go ahead, be a martyr.

I've been coming to the OBX for 40 years. I remember the old days, when the locals lived on welfare every winter.

I've seen a lot of moaning about the "nasty old tourists," and I think it's in poor taste.

D

·
0 Posts
i agree with you smoothbore but i wouldnt really consider people like me and you tourists, just "vacationing natives".

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I've seen this post theme on a similar board. This one that K-tom started is written more tactfully. I clearly see K-tom and others' point. My neighborhood was barely impassable Friday morning, but not by the massive old oaks and pines that blocked the roads or by the flooded Elizabeth River, but by the rubberneckers who don't live in the neighborhood. I was trying to get to my house Friday morning to see if it's still there and was held up by 'tourists' stopping to take pictures of downed trees on my neighbor's houses. I can see the frustration of the folks down in the outer banks when the state opens rt 12 back up.

So please, unless you own property or a business in the areas affected or are assisting in the recovery/rebuilding, try to stay out of the area so those that need to attend to their property and get their life back to normal can do that without the traffic and congestion that 'tourists' will bring.

My .02

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
Smoothbore54 said:
How long do you think it would take to get basic services back up and running, if there were no tourists.

The government wouldn't give a rats azz what happened to you, if it wasn't for tourism.

You complain, before the fact, about prices someone might charge for products that you can't get any other way.

The people who haul much needed products in to you, didn't cause Isabel. They don't owe you a thing.

The alternative is to do without. And if it makes you feel better, go ahead, be a martyr.

I've been coming to the OBX for 40 years. I remember the old days, when the locals lived on welfare every winter.

I've seen a lot of moaning about the "nasty old tourists," and I think it's in poor taste.
Smoothbore,no one said the island could do without tourism.. We are just saying coming on the island right now is "untimely".. When they let the folks back into Corolla and Duck MANY of those houses had no running water or toilets.. Many of the ones in Hat have no blacktop acess .. Many are right on the water's edge.. In the case of Duck and Corolla,they had a 30ft drop off the dune,in many cases,to get to the water. There was also floating debri from piers and such all up and down the beach.. Hat has the stuff in the sound AND ocean(like houses floating),as well as,ALL the ramps and piers are CLOSED to fishing and walking over from what I have heard and seen.. The swimming pools down here are full of salt water and sand,they just got phone working in my house today.. Emergency facilitys are "strained" with the catastrophy,to say the least.. It could take weeks,maybe even MONTHS before it all gets straight.. As well as, some of the "socalled" tourist(THIS IS A FEW NOT THE MAJORITY!) are just here to see the damage,and wind up in the way of folks trying to get "basic esentials" back to the locals.. It's almost like someone walking in on ya while you're taking a "dump"...
I am not writing any of this trying to be a "hardarse".. It's written as an observer,you see,I don't collect welfare in the winter.. As yourself,been visiting and living on the banks since 1970.. See no harm in "true property holders" and locals that have evacuated the island,but those just visiting ,need to "cool thier heels" a bit.. If you knew the real devistation this island has suffered,I really don't think you would argue.. JMHO...
:)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1- Consider this, if it were in your neighborhood, would you want me there??
2- Go outside cut power, cable, telephone off your house and try to exist for a week or longer, then add more people to get it service peoples way then you will know what we are talking about.
3- I am retired and unlike most people here that depend on the tourist industry, do not need your money.
4- My first trip in 1954, there were no deadbeats, drugs and drunks, or any other of the things that OUTSIDE people bring so graciously to the island.
5- So look closely at the native people before and after the fact that this place became a magnet for Pa., Nj., NY tourists.
I think that you will find more negatives have arrived via tourism.
6- What are you going to do when you get here??
7- Time is needed and thats all we are asking.

·
Registered
680 Posts
well said k-tom. hope it all goes well for you . and you are able to come to crisfield next month. ralph needs you!;) ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bravo k-tom, You people need a lot of time to get things together. These tourist need to stay home and out of the way. If they want to see just click around on the internet and they will find plenty of pictures. I'm suppose to come down the middle of October and stay at the KOA but I've put that off till ya'll can straighten your community and lives back to some what normal.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
First of all, to all the members of the board, would like to apologize, for being a bit short tempered. The last 2 days have been working in Hatteras village. When everyone gets home from work, and you get out of your car, take a moment and enjoy what you have. Look to the heavens and say thank you.
Talked to a friend and wife this am, and they are both in their 60's, that rode the storm out hanging on to trees after jumping out of their home as it was washing away. I lost a roof, but a few shingles and I'm ok, not so in the village. I still have my home.
National Guard has cut the north end of the village off, exception being road crews, telephone and power personnel.
Hopefully water will return in a couple of days as they are working on the pipe as I speak. Power, they have maxed out the generator that they brought in, So for the time being they have power.
Fishing, even I admit to catching some nice blues yesterday at the new inlet, has been shut down by NPS. The beach is off limits.
Slowly all the services are being restored, and even saw a bread truck when passing Food Lion 30 minutes ago.
As I post the rental managers and ems people are meeting on when to let tourism begin, will post when it becomes available.
The unique spririt , that makes this place so special is alive and kicking, and with a little time and a lot of work we'll be ok.
Thanks for the prayers, cause they worked, no lives lost.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Sorry k-tom, but

Your own first trip in 1954, made you a tourist then. Back then drugs were not what they are today, I'm sure many of the local kids (and middle-aged) locals have experimented. so tourist can't be totally blamed.

I'm sure all the grocery stores are doing what they can, not for money but because they are your neighbors, and in some cases friends. May seem small and inconsequential (and yes I am in management up here with Food Lion), but as I hear, they have sent free ice to affected areas (maybe not yours, but) and I am sure others are doing what they can. Remember, alot of the products you may seek, bread, water, ice and food in general. must be bought in by truck, and alot of areas are inaccessable.

I do know how you feel though, lost limbs and shingles, and stated I consider myself lucky. Tried to get to work on Friday, Kent Narrows here flooded, sat a half hour didn't get closer than 3 miles from the Narrows bridge (usually about a three minute drive), and saw on the news it was "rubber neckers" looking at the flooding at the Narrows). Maybe they felt the need to see others' losses to make them feel better, maybe it is just human nature to want to see first hand what "Mother Nature" can do. I don't know, and yes I felt first hand gaukers, but heck, I am alive, my wife and daughters are still here and so is that dang dog. I'm lucky.

Up here, we had three or four (guessing from memory) utility workers trying to help restore power, whom were electricuted, probably similar down your way, maybe thoer families now are thinking why the hell did they do it?

We have to take the good with the bad, and to the families of the power men and women that lost thier lives trying to get ME power back my heart and prayers go out to you. God bless and keep.

Godspeed. And sorry if I offended anyone.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
k-tom
sorry..I know what you mean. Even here in North Beach, Md they arrested people going through houses. .The human vultures think that they can take what they want from a place that has been damaged and people are not around. At least this time some citizens saw the people and grabbed them until the police arrived.

I got this from my neighbor whose son is a policeman,.

·
Registered
300 Posts
This is a BIG world. You chose to live where you live KNOWING that things like Hurricanes happen. If you can't take the results of living in an area where hurricanes hit you should MOVE and retire somewhere else.

Personally I dont think people that live in hurricane prone areas should get a dime from the govt. when the nice little houses they build get destroyed. You live in an area that is HEAVEN when things are good but when things go bad you should have to fend for yourself.

That is the price of living in paradise.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You are so right. I chose to live where I live. Neither have I asked, or expect to recieve any other help than normal insurance claims, which by the way, I pay for every month.
If we have another storm, and I am washed off the island, good investments, have made it possible that I will build right back here.
But then again I think it fair that none of the areas , including the tidewater and bay areas should get any help either. Cause you chose to live there also.
And if I remember correctly this is the USA, and we have the freedom of choice to live where we chose.
When we built the house, we realized that It could be gone tomorrow, and living on a barrier island is a crap shoot. Again our choice.
But the most important thing to remember, when you are fishing down here, alot of local people and natives make it possible, and when they move off island, things will be a bit more difficult.
But then again maybe that isn't such a bad idea anyway.
When my sister in law moved here in the 60's, you drove to elizabeth city to get fresh produce and meat.

Finally and the most important you all keep buying KK donuts, and I will be a happy fellow once every month.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I just want to say that although I think that people who live in places like you describe above do so at there own risk, I am not unsympathetic to those who lose things or suffer other hardships.

I have never had the opportunity to visit the islands to fish, but hopefully someday I will. To those of you that are suffering right now my prayers are with you.

·
Registered
830 Posts
LOL K-Tom

Man you did good investing in KK donuts. I know I should not eat them things but they are impossible to resist. I don't thing you will ever have to worry, that company is growing by leaps and bounds.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Hey do you think it is too late for me to jump on that bandwagon? LOL:D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts