Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a little time to get out this morning so I launched my kayak at the foot of the Wavescreen Pier and fished over the tubes for a bit to try to see if I could get lucky and catch a tautog. No love there, so I switched to jigging a 6" gulp and caught a 22" striper. That was the only bite from 7 to 11 am. Nobody was fishing from the pier today.

Fish Fish Bass Bony-fish

·
Registered
929 Posts
My buddy was on his boat around the mmbt to the Jordan bridge Area . they had about the same luck on stripers . I think they eneded up with a 24 and 22inch. Am bite Was good ,after that it went dead. He said they released maybe a dozen under slot schoolies. Gratz on the fish though.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Nice fat fish! Heard several years ago the striper bite was good from the pier but now next to nada. There are a few big stripers caught at the pier but they are few and in between. Next year I'm trying for some ribbon fish!

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Courage, That was my first keeper this season! I have only been able to get out to the York once this season a few weeks ago when I went to the refinery pier. Pretty much the same thing there. Plenty of little ones and tons of little blues. I saw a couple possible keepers in the lights, but they didn't want to play. I think it will get better between now and Christmas (hoping anyways).

Phil, I have seen pictures of some really big stripers caught from the wavescreen pier, but like you said, they were all from a few years ago. I think the further down you go on that pier, the better your chances are. The bad thing about that pier is that there is no current. It all runs around the very end where you can't cast. I think the fish mostly stay at the end along the "wall" that extends toward the tunnel where the current moves. If I were trying from the pier, I would be toward the end where there is a 20' deep slough. I would think that the fish would come into that area:
Line Text Map Intersection Infrastructure

·
Registered
411 Posts
I've had most of my catches around the middle or before. Never had much luck towards the end. Never caught a striper there either

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
rwh...thanks for the map and suggestions...will give it a try. Last year I talked to one of the guys that caught a big striper...showed me proof on his cell phone. I think I saw that guy a couple weeks ago. Just walk up and down the pier using big swimbaits. Most likely the fish will be near structure with the obvious one being the pier. I was thinking of putting a piece of mullet or bunker straight down and waiting. The channel is tough...deep and fast moving water. Couldn't ever keep up in the channel even when fishing from a boat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts