Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who aren't familiar with the term, a Darwin Award is a prize given, posthumously, to someone who removed themselves from the gene pool due to their own stupidity. I almost saw one happen Thursday afternoon on the Va. Beach 15th St. pier.

The end was full of guys throwing Clark Spoons and jerk jiggers for Spanish and taylor blues. A boat was approaching from the south, veering closer and closer to the end of the pier. By the time the boat full of three guys was in front of the pier, even a little kid with a bottom rig could have hit them. The guy beside me yelled for them to get away from the pier, but they just veered nearer and gave us the stink eye.

They turned left and cruised right up the side of the pier, still glaring at all the anglers who had now started casting at them. They headed right for the beach and beached their boat (which I believe is illegal at the oceanfront), presumably to impress some females.

Well, long story short, they got stuck. Then, they turned the boat sideways and water started smacking the boat on its side and swamping it. At this point, everyone on the pier was laughing and applauding--you can bet they weren't giving us any more dirty looks!

When one guy finally managed to turn the boat and start backing it away from the beach (the prop churning sand in the process), we noticed the two guys were missing. There was a yelp, and we noticed that one was stuck on the side and the other was off the front, hanging on for dear life and looking like a drowned rat. For the next few minutes the man on the boat struggled to get his partners in crime on board the boat. And amazingly enough, they hadn't had any luck in picking up women.

They veered way away from the pier this time, mainly because we were all in tears from laughing so hard. And like an idiot, I had left my new digital camera back in the car! Oh well...

Today's lesson? Don't be rude on the water or the gods of the sea will make you look like a doofus.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Amen brother! Saw some guy at a local ramp last weeked with one of the jet ski boats. He had no idea what he was doing and kept buzzing ny us while we were bass fishing. Then later while we were pulling out he was next to us. I guess he had never trailered his boat before cause he backed the trailer way to far in the water. Needless to say he drove the boat over the trailer craking the hull against the front of ther trailer, and running the front of the boat into his '99 pathfinder. I could'nt keep from laughing and rolling on the dock.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts