Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, got the company house on Marco on a canal. Early in the morn, or actually at times when I don't have time to fish, have seen redfish, trout, snapper, and I believe a tarpon offa our dock.

But whenever I get home from the jobsite, the water is too shallow for any baitfish to cast my net to. And/or the bait shops are closed.

So, I was wondering ifn anyone has had any luck with minnow traps?? I got a couple that I brought down from the house, and am going to try it tonight, but was still wondering ifn anyone has tried this before.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ok apparently I am the only dumbass that has tried this....:p

Had a "nice" day yesterday, and last night... checked the traps this AM..... nothing...

Had dead shrimp and a can of catfood with holes punched in it to get the oils out... didn't even have a crab in the traps...

threw 'em back in, just to see ifn I get anything today....

I got them in the canal behind the house, in about 5 ft (low tide) of water, maybe out ten feet from the dock/boat lift...

we have lotsa mullet, caught some snapper and sheepshead, so I gotta figger there must be some minners around....

anybodys input would be appreciated.....

·
Registered
196 Posts
Stupid question but, at what depth did you see the minnows? Maybe you need to place the trap a little shallower so that it's just submerged at low tide.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got the traps set at 3 ft in low tide... do you think this is too deep??

It was about the depth that I saw them, outside of my effective cast net range from the dock.

Did get some very small ones last night (maybe half dozen). I think the entry hole is too small, since these are my freshwater traps. Saw a pinfish trap at the hardware store yesterday, am thinking of trying that......

The saga continues....

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
If you're using the 2 piece funnel traps, only the smaller minnows will get in. I mostly use these for killies, but they can work well for shrimp, with a "stomped on" crab being the best bait. Haven't been to Marco, but think it should be similar to the canals I lived on in the Crystal River/Homosassa area, a bit north of you. The key to these traps was "shallow" water, usually just enough to cover the trap. Place near oyster bed, dock pillings, or the best, is if you have some grass to put it on the edge of the grassline, or even in it depending on water depth. They never seem to work well leaving for long periods, usually throw them out 1/2 hour-an hour before I plan to fish.

Or in my case, I would throw them out and grab my ulta-lite rod, set-up like a Crappie rig, with a "small" cork float, "small" piece of split shot, and about a #10 hook. A small pice of shrimp, and you should be able to pull in Pinfish almost as fast as you can cast out, just keep them in a 5 gal bucket, and be on the lookout for Blue Herons Egrets, and Pelicans :rolleyes:

You may also want to try a "Chum Block" and bag at night for Snapper. Should be able to find them near you, some grocery stores even sell them. Just drop it off the edge of the pier, and when it starts to thaw and move out with the current, just freeline a piece of shrimp or cut pinfish it it. I know I was "very" impressed the first time I tried it.

Hope some of this helps......Good Luck :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts