Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I actually set it out on Sunday (3/9). I'm planning on checking it tomorrow, and I'll let you know if anything wandered in my minnow trap. Hopefully, they'll be a little sumptin supmtin, nibbling on that yummy bread I put in there. If not, it's gonna get packed up for the trip to FLin 2 weeks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've been doing better with the mystery meat hot dogs Food Lion puts on sale for 2 packages for a dollar. Based on my experience with other meats, I think it's the pork that drives the gudgeon crazy.

·
Registered
43 Posts
No, I'm retired Navy and I currently work for an outfit called Sea Search of Virginia.

We provide side looking SONAR services, charter services for scientists (primarily ODU and the Corps of Engineers), some salvage, and we are the Virginia contractor for Reefballs.

I work as deckhand and sometimes work as captain of the company boat,Sea Search I, when we have passengers for hire.

I was never assigned to Little Creek, although I once went to a short school there.

You may recognize the name from the radio. In January I left WNIS and WTAR after working for them for over five years.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I do real well with dry dog food in my minnow trap. Maybe some seafood flavored cat food would be better. Hmm?

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
I used to use dog biscuits placed in an mesh-type onion bag or a can of cat food with holes punched in the top. Whatever works!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, two small gudgeons made their way into my basket trap... nothing else. Water's still too cold I suppose.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If two were able to make it, I am very encouraged. We are on our way. It won't be long before you are dumping gallons of minnows from the trap.

·
Registered
112 Posts
What type of trap do you have? I have a square trap and it is 9" x 12" x 24". It also has a bait box. I hope I catch a lot of baitfish this season :D

·
Registered
239 Posts
you guys are too much with all the minnow talk. I'm gonna copy all this down and post it again in june to remind everyone how bored they were. :p Remember to post those pics!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, for those who don't have a cast net, a minnow trap is a relatively inexpensive way to catch yourself some baitfish. At however many dollars a dozen, I am quite certain that little thing has paid for itself. I haven't had to visit a baitshop for bait in years. I didn't realize there was such a variation of "food" for them little suckers, so all in all, posting this did exactly what I wanted it to. If it provided you with some sort of humor, great (I'll consider that a bonus to it's actual mission)!

Anyway, I have a round tube type. I got it simply because it fits easily in a bag behind the seat of my car, not taking up too much room. I HAD a box, but it was stolen (you leave things unattended on public property, it's bound to happen.

I also have 3 cast nets that I use, all depending on the situation (size of the whole I'm throwing in, depth I need to let it go down to in order to catch whatever I'm throwing at, etc...)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have the old minnow pot with the inverted cones on the ends and an extension in the middle. It is 30 something inches long and a bit less than a foot in diameter.

I use a cast net when I can, but the pot is great in places where I can't throw the net.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's what I have Don, and exactly what I use mine for. LOL

1 - 16 of 16 Posts