Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got out to the pier around 4 pm after putting new fireline on the penn 7500. Didn't get a hit for the first hour but then BAM. A nice croaker almost yanked the rod over. I had my son with me and he proceeded to miss the next two hits after I set the hook. He still dosen't have the steady retrieve down pat yet. some how he lost them!! Well I was determined he would reel in one of the bruisers. Meanwhile a tremendous storm was coming across the bay......... The next croaker hit hard and I handed the rod to my boy. It felt soo heavy I thought he had a ray on. It turned out to be a seventeen inch croaker. Great day right? It went south really quick. Three power boats were racing for the inlet. The lead boat came in at almost full speed, and proceeded to wrap the last four rods. I snatched my rod up, but it was too late...Ahhhhhhhhhhg my new fireline went singing off my reel. the CRAAACK......the butt portion of my Peen rod shattered.

As the offending boater was trailering his boat I approached him about his violation of excessive speed. He said "what do you want me to do about it". I replied "oh thats how it is?". He looked up to see big Rad in his personal space and immediately changed his tune to "what can I do about it?". He offered me twenty bucks!! That wouldn't even pay for the line he peeled off my rod. This guy is driving a new truck trailering a twenty two foot cigarette boat.......... Well his tag number is 0080 PBA MD state. Well he might have to be carrying $90.00 in his glove box, because I'll see him again:mad: ......

Then the storm hit.....

·
Registered
597 Posts
Sorry to hear that big rad. Some boaters just don't have any respect for us pier and surf fisherman. I was at SPSP today and a few people were canoeing out in front of me and I was just wating for them to snag my line, but forunately not today. But I am sure my day will come. I just don't understand, the bay is a big place...why don't people use it..

·
Registered
681 Posts
that happened to me couple of times at matapeake. (although i never broke my rod) sometimes boats comes so close to pier it is ridiculous. what is the regulation on those things anyway. sometime when the boat comes to close to the pier, i want to cast directly to the boat. would i be liable if my sinker accidently hit the boat??:rolleyes:

·
Registered
490 Posts
If you guys are fishing the channel which is not very wide at the entrance to Matapeake it wouldn't be a bad idea to pull in your line till they got by. Respeck goes both ways.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
As a pier fisherman and a boater I'm stuck between a rock and a hard spot here. The law is that anytime there is a navigable channel or waterway the boat has the right of way. Keep in mind alot of people have no respect and thats on both sides of the fence. The safest thing you can do in this situation is pull in your lines. If there is a fool at the helm it will save your gear from damage....Tightlines

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
That has happened to me before at the Point Lookout Pier. Some idiot was going pretty fast in his boat hooting and hollering and got within 30 ft of the pier and snagged everyone's line. I had two rods break and the worst thing was that a Game warden was there. He said that there was nothing he could do about it since he didn't have the boat's license number. It sucks when things like that happen.
-Anthony

1 - 6 of 6 Posts