Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made it my goal this fall to put a 30+ lb king in the kayak. Getting close, but just havent been able to get lucky with a really big one yet. Had some pretty good action with fish from the upper teens to mid 20's, so I cant complain. I guess i'll keep trying until i get a smoker or the cool weather runs them off the beach later this month, whichever comes first.

Been making a lot of solo trips, so quality photos have been a little tough to get out there, but here's some action from the last few trips. All fish caught on live menhaden or bluefish.

The big pond seemed a little small the first day of the US Open..

Back to the hill..

By-catch..

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://img.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v210/uncdub13/blacktip-2.flv">

Fighting a 24 pounder after it "calmed down" from the initial run..

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://img.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v210/uncdub13/IMGP2363.flv">

Full house..

·
Registered
99 Posts
Per the usual, nice fish and thanks for the videos. What rod is that if you don't mind me asking? That Cabo was getting a workout.

·
Registered
155 Posts
WO HO!!! Awesome!!!! the bird is the word!! i saw this on the world records site and was wandering when you were going to post it up. :)

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What rod is that if you don't mind me asking? That Cabo was getting a workout.
7'6" st croix tidemaster, heavy power fast action

Wow those are some nice King Macs. Looks like fun. Where are you fishing out of if you don't mind my asking?
Staying local to the cape fear area, both the east and south facing beaches depending on the conditions.

In the first pic, is that a shark in the water right next to you?
Nah, just some glare from poor lighting in that photo (facing the sun). It was even worse before photoshop. Got a friend in his boat to take that photo for me.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
damn, I knew Cox and I shoulda made the pilgrimage the other day.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
damn, I knew Cox and I shoulda made the pilgrimage the other day.
I had my doubts too when i looked at the radar that morning. If i hadnt been already loaded up and ready to go, i'm sure i woulda went back to sleep.

Heard the bite was goin off out there all day for the boaters. I guess that's what i get for keepin the first fish after only an hour and callin it quits:rolleyes:.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
now you are just showing off....

we had a hour and a half ride, we went and looked at the water here, it was dark brown and the current was ripping, so we just fished the inlet.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
wow. thanks for the pics and vid! i'll be getting a camera this winter so i hope to have a few pics and vids up, too bad it will only be of boring stripers

·
Registered
964 Posts
Maybe a dumb question, but what do you do with the fish once you catch it (assuming you plan to keep it)? I recently went fishing out in the Ches. Bay for stripers and had no clue what I would have done if I landed a fatty. My rationale was to worry about it if I was lucky enough to catch one. At that point, I would have cared if I had to sling it over my shoulder as I paddled around.

I can't imagine dragging something like that behind/under the boat on a stringer and at least for me - trying to access my front storage hatch would most likely result in me getting wet, if not turning over my yak.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
i have a $12 insulated bag w/zipper from kmart. it looks like a hand bag. it will hold a couple fish upto 26" and a bunch of smaller ones. anything larger and the tail will be popping out th top. i keep this in my front hatchwith 2 1 litter frozen bottles of water. i will be experimenting with dry ice though next year since it's readily available at safeway these days. if i caught a 30" plus rockfish (unfortunately i havent yet fron the yak) i'm thinkin i would either take it back tot he car, just stick the whole thing int he front hatch without ice or stick it on a stringer and see what happens. it would all depend when the fish was caught and my planned heading in time.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Maybe a dumb question, but what do you do with the fish once you catch it (assuming you plan to keep it)? I recently went fishing out in the Ches. Bay for stripers and had no clue what I would have done if I landed a fatty. My rationale was to worry about it if I was lucky enough to catch one. At that point, I would have cared if I had to sling it over my shoulder as I paddled around.

I can't imagine dragging something like that behind/under the boat on a stringer and at least for me - trying to access my front storage hatch would most likely result in me getting wet, if not turning over my yak.
did you go out on sat to spsp? I saw a couple other kayaker there.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts