Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone read Reader's Digest? I was reading an article yesterday about Mercury and it's harmful effects on the human body. It was about a doctor in CA who had some patients complaining about huge clumps of hair falling out, aching joints, headaches, the jitters, etc. Eventually she found out they all ate lots of fish. After they stopped eating the fish (containing mercury), their hair grew back and their other symptons subsided.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
831 Posts
When your hair starts falling out, practice C&R till it grows out again.....and if our catching that many fish "Please" e-mail me ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This was mainly warning about predators

It was mostly saying to avaoid the older established fish who are predators. Shark, Tuna, Swordfish, etc. For freshwater, the article said that equated to Trout and Bass.

These were people who basically replaced red meat with fish and ate fish daily.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
5,774 Posts
Also, the methodology for measuring PCB's and mercury seems a little suspect to me. Apparently they drop the whole fish into a blender and measure the levels from the resulting slurry.

Toxins accumulate in heavier levels in the tissues we don't eat, so the levels in filets are actually much lower.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The article said that fish aren't even tested for Mercury levels anymore. I think it said that was no longer mandatory after 1999. Another thing was that the recommended Mercury level was four times higher for one agency than the other (EPA vs. FDA).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
823 Posts
if anyone is catching and eating that much fish ..... let me know where the honey hole is!!!!!!!!!!!!:jawdrop: :D
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top