I eat rockfish I catch from the Potomac (near National Airport) on a regular basis... no problems here, except for a a slight metal "tinny" feeling in my teeth ... that, and I tend to glow a bit in the dark, which isn't much of a nuisance all things considered.
I caught three rockfish just this week, and already had one for dinner. Added another to the freezer three hours ago.
Best thing to do to reduce the possibility of Mercury is to remove the skin so you have a true filet, remove the lateral line or any dark, fatty meat, rinse the fish thouroughly and grill it. Toss the drippings.
And if any of you guys get pregnant...don't eat anything at all.
Unless your eating catfish, carp, or any other bottom feeder...not much else poses a serious risk.
Course if your eatin rock for breakfast, lunch, dinner, desert, 12 AM snack, etc. every day of the week...
And if you can't hack a few heavy metals, when in doubt, throw it out. Then get on the horn to your congressman and lamblast those energy plants, plastic companies, etc.
DEET probably poses more of a risk to you than Mercury. Or smoking, or drinking, etc.
I did not get a chance to read the article but do remember something about a certain type of fish having higher traces of mercury than other fish. I think it was sailfish or marlin..?
I think the mercury is found in the flesh closest to the skin and in dark meat.
Just a devils advocate kind of thing. Several years ago some research was done on tuna that had been pickled in a museum since the the late 1800s. They found that the mercury levels were only slightly higher than fish taken today. Don't ask what group did the research, I don't remember but it appeared to be a legitimate study.
Funny thing...I came across this article today while working on a project...here 'tis a definitive report about Mercury in fish, just released. Lots of very interesting info in it besides just the mercury stuff...like what how much recreational fishing contributes to the economy and what states do the most. VA and MD were 24 and 26, respectively, out of 50. You'll need acrobat reader for this.
To give a brief overview....Mercury is only one of many pollutants (pesticides, PCBs, etc) that people should consider. The majority of pollutants concentrate in the fats of fish. Fats are found throughout fish flesh but highly concentrate near the skin and in the lateral line, hence, thats where the majority of the pollutants are. Mercury is an exception though as it is present in the actual muscle tissue also. So to backup what some other posters.....cutting out the lateral line and skinning the fish a little furthor from the skin will help get rid of pollutants and some of mercury but not totally. But with Mercury there really isn't any way to get around a lot of it. The only other suggestion is to eat younger (smaller) fish because older fish and large predatory species eat more and build up more pollutants in them over time. The thing is.....pollutants, mercury, etc, are also found in other meats (cow, pork, etc).....and veggies aren't all that perfect either. Though fish tend to have higher concentrations than the other those other foods. You would have to eat quite a lot of fish to get poisining from mercury or other pollutants. But.....the 2 main worrys are reproductive problems later that would affect your kids and/or may cause cancer in yourself. My only suggestion is to follow the eating guidelines from the MD DNR. I know I won't stop eating fish. Ok I think thats enough....sorry I thought I would be concise.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
A forum community dedicated to fishing and boat owners and enthusiasts along the East Coast and Gulf area. Come join the discussion about piers, safety, gear, tackle, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!