Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the Mel Bch Pier crack of dawn landed a nice 18 in Spot.
They quit as soon has the sun was up . But thats what I have been hearing . The larger fish are biting at the crack of dawn and then the bite is off soon after. The good old 1/2 OZ white D.O.A comes through again.:D

·
Registered
392 Posts
Woke up at 5:00 Sunday morning and thought "Gee, I could be at the MB Pier by 6:30"

Woke up again at 9:00 and figured I would give it a try anyway.

Thanks to Koz's directions, I found the pier with no problem. Unfortunately the fish didn't

Still it was a nice day to be out in the sunshine and fresh air.

The pier is very nice. Got to watch the dolphins cavort in the river, and saw pods of baitfish running from something (and that something was waving and laughing at me as it completely ignored my bait!)

Koz, what kind of DOA were you using? I tried one and also a Terror Eyez but didn't have any luck. Gotta get out there much earlier next time

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Fishin the Shadows the Lurkers are There

Hey Mark I was there this AM at the crack of dawn and stayed till about 8:30. Caught I Pompano on live shrimp . He was 12 inches , not much else happened. The D.O.A that I use is the 1/2 OZ White . 3 to a Pack , stuffed with real shrimp weedless single hook rig. Get to the Pier early before dawn and fish around the shadows of the pier with the D.O.A to bring the biggins out of their hiding spots . I know there's snook under there ..Just gotta getem to go for it.

See YA at the Pier I'm sure.:D

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm gonna haveta be more specific next time . Maybe a PIC.
Is this the one you call a spot or look at the link.

Spotfish
The spot (Leiostomus xanthrus) is similar to the croaker but with a spot just behind the gills. They're also called lafayette or flat croaker and are good bait for bottom fish. We don't frequently see them, but be sure and keep them if you do catch a few in your cast net because they are definitely grouper getters.

http://www.shrimpin.com/bait_fish_identification.htm

Checked the Range of that species put in spotfish nothing . Then spot this came up.

http://www.st.nmfs.gov/st1/recreational/survey/ranges.html

Let me know C dog . I'm going right know to catch something from under that Pier lets call it SALTWATER PIKE , SNOOK , Side Liner . CENTROPOMUS UNDECIMALIS . I would like to call it Dinner .

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
I can just picture that little guy sliding down one of my kingrigs right now.:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.