Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Meeting in Hampton

There will be a meeting in Hampton at the Buckroe Fire Department on January 15, 2004, at 7:00p.m. to discuss rebuilding a pier in Hampton. All supporters of the Grandview Pier are encouraged to attend. We are now moving full speed ahead in seeking all kinds of support and financial aid to assure that we get our pier back for all to enjoy.
Please feel free to get in touch with me if you can offer any assistance of any kind, or want to be kept informed of our progress. Thanks, and Good Fishing to you!!;)

·
Registered
312 Posts
:cool: I live in Richmond and can't get to the meeting. Will you let us know what happens? If Grandview is coming back I can drive in on Saturdays and pound a few nails if that will help.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Meeting

I most assuredly will keep everyone posted on exactly what is happening with Grandview Pier, and know that we appreciate all the interest and support.:D

·
Registered
634 Posts
i never fished grandview pier but if it comes back i will definetly give it a shot...thanks for the effort in trying to get this landmark back up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Directions

Hi Sitdown! Welcome Aboard!! Tried to e-mail you, but your box is full. Try these directions from Portsmouth. Come across the James River Bridege, which will put you on Mercury Blvd. Stay on Mercury for quite a ways.Where it intersects Fox Hill Rd, You will see a Hardee's on the left. Keep going through 2 more lights, Which will be Pembroke Ave. (Ekerds on left). Make left. Keep following Pembroke through I think 4 more lights. You'll see a Burger King afterr the last one on the left. Keep going around sharp curve in road, then start looking on right for Buckroe Fire Dept. We look forward to seeing you.
Regards, Vicki:D

·
Registered
862 Posts
Vicki,

Just one question. The proposal at VMRC for Buckroe has it as an extension of a pier that that is owned by the City that extends off of city property that is adjacent to a city owned parking lot and a city owned park.

It seeks about $1,000,000 for the project.

Will use of the pier be FREE to LICENSED recreational fishermen?

If the purpose, from the city's standpoint is to attract people to the destination, and fill hotels, etc. Shouldn't it be a free pier to those who paid for the majority of the pier?

Tom

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Buckroe Pier

Tom, I agree that it should be, but as of yet we do not know. I guess we'll find out at the meeting Monday night how they plan to set it up.
I don't know if it will fly for several reasons, one of which is the limited number of places that people have left to swim in the area. There are swimming areas on both sides of the pier, and you know as well as I do that scraps, chum and oil being dumped there is a deterrent to people swimming safely. There are also other safety factors that will have to be addressed.
We plan to attend Monday night, and for those that cannot attend, I will post what we learn, so keep watching. Regards.:eek:

·
Registered
440 Posts
Vicki,
It was good meeting you, I wish you and Cindy the best of Luck in getting a fishing pier back at Buckroe.

Cory Routh.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Vicki

Are you the lady that did all the flounder fishing on Buckroe along with your husband. I remember seeing this couple just about everytime I went to that pier.
Sure hope they build something back cause the people on that pier never made me feel like an outsider. Did not seem to be the clicks on that pier that I seen on other piers.
Anyway good luck and I wish I could be at the meeting but I live a good 4 hours away.

Tight lines...

Ken

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Good Luck at you meeting Vicki I vacation in VA beach every year so I hope all goes well for you.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
By the way the posts have gone the meeting was Monday. I would be interested to see what happened though.?

·
Registered
862 Posts
I was not there but the meeting on Monday was at VMRC there is one on Thrusday the 15th at the Buckroe Fire department at 7PM.

Tom

1 - 13 of 13 Posts