Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice on a couple of new reels. I've got some 7' and 8' rods I use as loaners to kids we take fishing. It's usually their first time so I need the reels to be simple but willing to take a beating when the rookies chuck them in the water or drop them in the sand on their first couple of casts. Any suggestions for tough reels that kids can handle?

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I like either Penn or Quantum products for my 6 yr old son as well as myself..The Penn Slammer 460 is expensive..but if its like the SS series of spinning reels it will last a life time....4500SS, 5500SS, and the 6500SS go well with my 7 footers..also check out the Quantum Blue Runner Series..I bought two this year and really enjoyed them..no problems..dropped one in the surf..soaked in a bucket for a few hours..has worked flawlessly since and that was back in May. I don't know the modwl #'s offhand but could look at home tonight. I like Quantum have had a Iron Spinner and two Iron Baitcasters for over 10 years..tough reels..never any problems with them. Good Luck!:)

PS> I have one Okuma Coronado Baitfeeder that I like very much also.:)

·
Registered
905 Posts
Dicks Sporting Goods store had the Okuma Azul on clearance for $29.99 regularly $59.99, it's equivalent to the Okuma Coronado (baitfeeder model) without the baitfeeder function. Both models are made for handling the salt water environment...i.e. seals and stainless steel gears. Pretty good price....$29.99 for all size reels.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. How much line can you put on a 4500SS or the Okuma of the same size?

·
Registered
270 Posts
There's a Dick's at Dulles Town Center, but they do not have the Okuma Azul. In fact, their fishing department is horrible.

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
Dick's in Columbia, MD

Not on sale there.

But they are having a sale on Friday after turkey day.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just saw thatSports Authority has Shimano Combos on sale at 50% off this week. Slade, Sienna, and Sonora reels. Are any of those worth the effort?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts