Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey. When you guys and gals measure citation class drum is it fork length, or do you pinch the tail?

Thanks and I hope we get a bunch more to measure this fall.

Brian

·
Registered
836 Posts
Total Length Measurement

Total Length is measured from the most forward point of the head, with the mouth closed, to the farthest tip of the tail with the tail compressed or squeezed, while the fish is lying on its side.

·
Registered
492 Posts
A lot of the old timers will measure fork length, as it is a truer measurement. Yes, drum do have a fork length although not as extreme as many other species. Depending on the drum it could mean an extra inch or two.

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
A lot of the old timers will measure fork length, as it is a truer measurement. Yes, drum do have a fork length although not as extreme as many other species. Depending on the drum it could mean an extra inch or two.
Could mean as many as 3-4".. And we use fl in pier tourney here,as well as a couple of other piers n of us,also when tagging fish for ncdmf.. The ncdmf wants tl when measuring for a pup to eat,and we do then,although in measuring a big fish on the planks in nc we measure fl.. That was why it was so impressive two years back when we caught so many at 50" fl, a fish measure tl would have been as high as 54".. Think of this,we measured a couple of fish that were 54" that year.. Most over 50" fl fish I had tagged,even when you were to add in all the other years going back to 94..

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Could mean as many as 3-4".. And we use fl in pier tourney here,as well as a couple of other piers n of us,also when tagging fish for ncdmf.. The ncdmf wants tl when measuring for a pup to eat,and we do then,although in measuring a big fish on the planks in nc we measure fl.. That was why it was so impressive two years back when we caught so many at 50" fl, a fish measure tl would have been as high as 54".. Think of this,we measured a couple of fish that were 54" that year.. Most over 50" fl fish I had tagged,even when you were to add in all the other years going back to 94..
Fork This.....

From Kitty Hawk Pier to Avon Pier and all piers in between if you have a real big one on the deck and someone pulls out a tape and you don't put the end of the tape in the fork....

You are either:

1. From Virginia
2. A compulsive Liar
3. A compulsive Liar not from Hatteras
4. Wanting to start an "internal" bickering and murmuring controversy at the end of the T.

I am with DD the difference on a very large Drum can be up to 4"

If you have a 40" or so and you need a bit more length to save face when chit chatting with the other fellas leaning on the rail, trying to look like grizzled Drum pros from another era, all ways take the real end of the tape and you put it on the nose of the Drum.... you can easily bunch up the tape and cut an inch or two hiding it with your fingers and when the fella who is measuring the Fork.....yells out to whomever carries around a little book and strips of plastic............44" no one is looking at the you...........what's four inches between friends anyway....

·
Registered
618 Posts
I'm just a farm boy from Iowa but I fish the OBX and catch a few drum.

Let me get this straight........................

For the DNR this fish is 30"

For the bragging rights (when talking to REAL drum fisherman) it's only 28..................

·
Registered
2,617 Posts

For the bragging rights (when talking to REAL drum fisherman) it's only 28..................

View attachment 16724
Tractor Man

Under 30" is a Puppy Drum

Between 30"-40" is a Yearling or Juvenile Drum.

Over 40" is a Drum or as some call them the Channel Bass

Some older fellas feel that a Drum should be a minimum 44" and up for instance that Red Headed fella you met on Rodanthe Pier.

For bragging rights you need over 50".

If you can get a 60" on the beach take lots and lots of pictures:)

If I happen to deck a 60"er it will be touch and go...I may decide to take the hit and just drop myself off at Manteo..........after the obligatory weigh-in with Sherriff's standing by in the background:)

If I go before Judge Boyle, I will plead the Fifth or perhaps just plead a 12-pack:beer: and try and prove the Drum died in the net...instead of on the way to Oregon Inlet Fishing Center scales....my plan a few years back was to ride him down to SC......now it looks like a run all the way to the Lone Star State in a Giant Yeti......Believe me if you got the new All Tackle Record World Record Drum on November 7th off of South Padre Island.................them Drum Pro fellas at Kinnakeet would never get over it....especially if the day before you were on the Tee at Rodanthe....

·
Registered
618 Posts
Garbo,
This one is a little better. Best I ever got so far.......................................

This is a BULL red from the beach at Padre Island and is in no way shape or form anything like the giants you catch off NC.

You can legaly tag and take one oversize drum with your yearly licence and then apply for another tag which takes some time.

Let me get this straight now.

If I'm fishing with you guys on Rodanthe this fish isn't even worth measuring..................and I should quickly throw it back in.

My bump board is 36" and I'm saying it's 40 but it looks more like 39-1/2. But hey DD said 40 is a big fish so I'm sticking with 40.

If I was from Virginia it would be 42.

If I was a compulsive liar and of course not form Haterass it would be 44..........................................

Fish Fish Fishing Barramundi Bony-fish

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
anything under 18" is a rat
anything over 18-35 is a pup
anything over 35 and up to 40 is a yearling
anything over 40 FL is a drum
anything over 50 FL is an "ole drum" or "ole warrior"

That clears it up for all us old crotchety plankers..... ;)

As for you and Garbo,ya'll are kill'n me.... :D

AND NO,THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A "BULL RED".....

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
Fork length and there is no such thing as a bull red unless your checking sex
I've seen some pretty big drum that once laid on the planks would "drum" which means they are a male,but I STILL AIN'T CALL'N EM A BULL RED.. :D

To give some idea as to what fl can mean,the drum in this pic is only 47.. :eek:

Fish Fish Bass Striper bass Northern largemouth bass

·
Registered
419 Posts

View attachment 16724
To be completely accurate by DNR standards, you should be pinching the tail to get Total Length (TL).

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Measuring fork length for non slot is a drum fishing standard.
Bragging rights to the once a year angler is a, (1) 40"+ FL fish
Bragging rights to a 2-10 trips annual fisherman is double didigit 40"+FL season
Bragging rights to a local, single man, or seasoned drum fisherman that hits the sand/planks more than 15 times a year for more than 5 years in his lifetime is a 48"x35" fish.
Bragging rights to dad's is any drum over 16" for his kids first drum and any subsiquent drum until his kid is old enough to drive, pay taxes, tie own rig, and do it right from bait to release.
Guys that passed the century mark in landed 40"FL stop bragging at any of their catches and rather celebrate the next generation of drummers as collateral. Also may post on fishing forums and be accused of being ornery, grumpy, hard headed, old timers. Those are the ones you listen to for advice and general conversation.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Not about old drum, but if you're going to keep a slot drum, NCDMF will tilt and slide the fish nose first to the angled end of a Gator Board and then pinch the tail (above by pmcdaniel).

<=27" & >= 18", a keeper.

>27" a citation - the wrong kind (or a warning).

Agree with Kenny except, like "bull red" I never use the term "rat". It's a "short.":D

1 - 20 of 35 Posts