Pier and Surf Forum banner

141 - 156 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
20 to 30 Whiting off the pier today all hand size. They jumped on the bait as soon as it hit the bottom. Would have been a good day to take a small child fishing lots of action. Lots of finger mullet and manhaden . I used cut finger mullet worked great. The weights on my net is not lead so had a hard time netting the manhaden they were very close to the bottom. If you have a net with lead it will get down faster But I got a few for some friends that kingfish and gave them to those good old boys.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL, KEEP THOSE HOOKS WET...

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
40inchreds, They were two weeks ago, this week mostly Spanish Mackerel, and two large Carvalle Jacks but it is only Tuesday. Word is last week someone hooked up with a Tarpon but couldn't land it I can't confirm...

Take care, and good luck...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #144 (Edited)
Water was dirty today, very green and cloudy. Looked like the Waccamaw river water color. Finger mullet in the morning but none in the afternoon. In spite of all that, still alot of small Whiting and Toadfish to the point they were a nuisance. If you have a young child they won't be bored. Not much else happening.

GOOD LUCK AND KEEP THOSE HOOKS WET...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
Lots of small Ladyfish on incoming tide, still alot of Toadfish and very small Whiting. Would have been a great day for children. Water was still dirty. The spanish macks were heavy last Wednesday the water was very clean / clear and you could use Jigs, Straw rigs, and spoons they would hit just about anything you could throw at them. Lots of finger Mullet in the surf, very very shallow right were the waves meet the beach.

GOOD LUCK AND KEEP THOSE HOOKS WET...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
Damn cataract surgery, messing up my October hunting and fishing ... Good luck to all who can make it out.. KEEP THOSE HOOKS WET.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Damn cataract surgery, messing up my October hunting and fishing ... Good luck to all who can make it out.. KEEP THOSE HOOKS WET.
Cataract surgery shouldn't mess you up much. I have had it and was good to go next day. Amazing how clear things get.
The sun light got to me for a long time so be sure to have a good pair of sun glasses on hand.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
Hit the pier this am lots of small Whiting in the surf at high tide. Used Fishbites shrimp pink picked up about 20 in two hours no good keepers. Would had been a great day for small kids.

Good luck to all and keep those hooks wet...

·
Registered
344 Posts
Good to see something is biting. 8 more weeks and down there. Pier or Surf will do us fine. When there in 2019 1/2 the pier was closed due to repairs. We stayed away and did fine. Last year with covid not a place to be. This year up in the air where to fish but always liked State Pier...............
Kim

·
Registered
344 Posts
I have caught whiting from 4" to 14" down there. What's the normal size do you start keeping them to eat?? Thanks
Kim

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
Kim, I see people on the beach filling buckets and coolers with any size they might catch. I don't keep anything less than 12". Less than 12 makes for a small fillet. Also, the Whiting population would improve if folks throw the dinks back like most of us do, giving them time to grow. However, there is not a size limit on whiting in South Caroline. Just my 2 cent worth....

Keep those hooks wet....

·
Registered
344 Posts
Thanks RR. I try to keep over 10" if possible. Sometimes the whiting inhale the hooks and it proves deadly. Cut them up for fresh cut bait and cast back out. I myself have only caught 12"+ a handful of times. Getting better with practice, patience and luck. With a 1 week window per year I have to fish smarter with the time on the water. Usually mornings and after 5 when the beach starts to empty. Tides play an important part there also. 6 more weeks.........
Kim

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
Water was beautiful today. Lots of bull whiting off the end of the pier dinks in the surf. Lots of keeper size Spanish mackerel 12 and up .If you couldn't catch a Spanish mackerel today then you just don't know how to fish for them they were everywhere. Lots of small blue fish also being caught probably around the 10 inch range. However, no one caught any flounder. Yep, things are starting to look up. Keep those hooks wet....

·
Registered
5,718 Posts
Water was beautiful today. Lots of bull whiting off the end of the pier dinks in the surf. Lots of keeper size Spanish mackerel 12 and up .If you couldn't catch a Spanish mackerel today then you just don't know how to fish for them they were everywhere. Lots of small blue fish also being caught probably around the 10 inch range. However, no one caught any flounder. Yep, things are starting to look up. Keep those hooks wet....
What were they catching the whiting on? I got one on shrimp at Springmaid and couldn't keep the croaker off long enough to get more. The rest of the keepers I saw were on mullet or salted blues from last year.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
SmoothLures, I was using fresh shrimp with a very small piece of pink shrimp Fishbites, half the size of your little fingernail just to help keep the shrimp on the hook . I did see alot of folks with crockers but , I caught alot of Pufferfish both in the surf and towards the end of the pier. Maybe I should have left the fishbites off. I did see a crew on the pier with mud minnows for Flounder they had no luck.

I haven't tried Springmaid yet but, about ready to give it a try.

Good luck to all you folks and keep those hooks wet....

·
Registered
5,718 Posts
SmoothLures, I was using fresh shrimp with a very small piece of pink shrimp Fishbites, half the size of your little fingernail just to help keep the shrimp on the hook . I did see alot of folks with crockers but , I caught alot of Pufferfish both in the surf and towards the end of the pier. Maybe I should have left the fishbites off. I did see a crew on the pier with mud minnows for Flounder they had no luck. View attachment 67931
I haven't tried Springmaid yet but, about ready to give it a try.

Good luck to all you folks and keep those hooks wet....
I tried some pink Fishbites shrimp I had from last year and caught a single croaker on it. I kept it in the freezer to keep the color from fading but they wouldn't touch it. It was the longer lasting for that they recommend for using in 65+ degree water temps so maybe that has something to do with it. It was still in the low 60s.

I'm probably gonna go to Springmaid on Saturday AM.

Random question but do you ever see anyone catching sheepshead in April or May on the MB piers? I wouldn't be surprised if there were some down there now since they don't mind the cold but I hate to waste my time. I'm itching to catch a few.

141 - 156 of 156 Posts