Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of...first time poster...
Pretty new to surf fishing as well, got "hooked" last year while camping at Hunting Island State Park. Bought me an ocean rod at Wally World and landed me two Whitings. After that I've been looking forward to my next chance of trying my luck again.
Going down to MB State Park next week for some camping and wondered if anybody got any tips to share to a beginner? My current weapons of choice are last years 7 footer ($20 special) and a newly acquired 12 footer. I have only used bottom rigs so far. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Not much game fish biting right now. However, if you just want to have some fun and catch something, get you some cut mullet, use the bottom rigs, and fish off the end of the pier at high tide. You will catch a lot of sharpnose sharks in the 3 - 3 1/2 foot range. The important part here is to fish the high tide.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info...

...I will definitely try to fish for some shark. Any tip on hook size and a good bait shop close to the state park?
Oh, another question. Never fished from a pier in the ocean and definitely never caught a shark before. What's the proper way of landing and releasing sharks and other fish as well for that matter from a pier? I like fish on my plate but if I'm going to release it I want to do so with as little stress on the animal as possible.

·
Registered
261 Posts
3/0 will be plenty large enough. You don't need heavy duty stuff. 15-17 lb line will be fine. As far as the size of bait goes, 1/2" square will be plenty.

Also, most piers have rules about not "targeting" sharks. So what you are doing is fishing for what ever bites (if anyone ask). Who knows, you may get a flounder, drum or something else. I have never had an issue with this. Of course I have never used a whole tuna head or bluefish for bait from a pier.

I was down a little further south (Charleston area) last weekend and caught at least a dozen in about 3 1/2 hours. They bit like crazy until the tide went out.

·
Registered
261 Posts
And one last thought, if you do not have a pier net, you may want to ad about 25' of 50 lb. mono leader so you can hand line the catches up on the pier.

I do not recall if the MB pier has a net available.

·
Premium Member
3,417 Posts
Greg at the bait shack has a sweet little net - PopNet

Is the MBSP pier open right now? I know the park is, but there used to be times when it closed down for part of the year. I don't know, and I didn't see anything about it closing on the website.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info guys.
Just for reference, how far out will I have to cast? Will I be able to land me some sharks if I cast from the beach? I just got me a 12 footer the other day and wouldn't mind trying some from the beach if the reach is enough.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
...follow up...

Got back from the beach last night. Got to do some fishing and also found a friendly bait shop close to the state park. Didn't catch anything though...dont know if it was because of the cold weather or my inexperience?!?!?! My wife says it was the later...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
...I will definitely try to fish for some shark. What's the proper way of landing and releasing sharks and other fish as well for that matter from a pier? I like fish on my plate but if I'm going to release it I want to do so with as little stress on the animal as possible.
OK..........here's the proper way to remove a hook from a shark and release it.

Take both hands and grip it firmly by the tail, lift the shark till your in a standing position. Turn to your right (if right handed, or opposite if left handed) till the fish is behind your back. bring the shark swiftly over your head and beat it senselessly against the railing till it gives up the hook. Then sling it as far away from the pier as possible. If your lucky you'll also recover your bait. For sharks 5 foot or longer, you may want to seek the assistance of a friend.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.