Pier and Surf Forum banner

Matapeake report

8K views 70 replies 20 participants last post by  BigJeff823 
#1 ·
Three of us had whole pier to ourselves and we took a full advantage of it!!
We caugth and released 3 dozen Stripers and few white perch and we had blast catching them till the big boys showed up...
Our line which was no more than 10 pound were snapping like it was a robberband.
Those we brought close enought to see must gone at least 40 inches long.
My shoulder is still hurting from bring in those horses.... After we changed to heavier gear from 8pm til 11pm , stripers from 20 inches to 45 inches were brought in... If any of you want to get into some C&R stiper action near DC this is it..
As we were leaving the pier I am not sure if they were Italians or Arabs but they were keeping all stripers and we ask them nicely to let go their chatch but they were not having it,,they kept everything they caught. Where is a game warden when you need one? :mad:

#2 ·
Bluefish...Outstanding fishing trip. Were you able to release all fish unharmed and where you guys using circle hooks? As far as the Arabs keeping their fish, report them. I keep the 24hr CATCH A POACHER DNR number is my cell phone (1-800-628-9944) and I don't hesitate to report such activity. After being threatened at knife point about 4 years ago at Conowingo Dam over a couple of guys keeping rock after midnight I don't even confront anyone now, I just call the DNR on the spot.

Catman.

#5 ·
Yes Catman! We were all using circle hooks and after we realize stripers were running 10 pounds and up we changed to # 4 hooks..
It was hard trying to squeeze them tiny bloodworms into huge #4 hooks but it was worth it. All fishes were unharmed and needless to say bring the net so you can release them big females to water with out great stress....

#11 ·
Hey guys...

I have never fished Matapeake before and i was wondering how do you get there??? This is my year to visit as many new fishing spots as possible. Directions would be great guys... Thanks

#12 ·
Blue, isn't the DNR spot right behind the pier. To get my bearings together isn't that the spot first exit across the Bay Bridge. Man, if I wasn't busy on Thursday night I would definitely be out there, but I sure may try it out late Friday, depending upon the weather. Let me know. Thanks.

#13 ·
I spoke too soon. My wife has plans Thursday night already. I'm actually thinking about going tonight. Plus I heard there is a flood warning for Thursday night--lots of rain.

Yes, take first exit on the right --Romancoke/Metapeake after the bay bridge. There is an entrance on the right. It is sort of easy to drive by it if you haven't been. There is a wood sign (no street sign).

If you get to the pier at the end of the road (Romancoke), you passed it.

#14 ·
No, I don't like the whether. Won't be going except maybe on Saturday.

Have to try out those fishbites.

Sand Flea, good point--the next few days should be really busy for you with your job--you know given all the fishing people will be doing to relieve stress with the Iraq deal and all. I hadn't thought about all the moderating you will be doing.
:p :D :eek: ;)

#15 ·
There were biting everywhere on the pier but biting on the left corner of pier were constant. I may hit the pier tonight depends on my job I guess but if i am up there a person with matching 3 ugly 12' with matching reel would be me....

Someone please bring them pier net cus...I am broke buying licenses from VA,MD,DC,Saltwater,Trout....and goes on and on......... :)

#16 ·
Shoot!!!!!! RAIN RAIN AND MORE RAIN!!!

I don't thik I can make it tonight but if you are heading up there please take your rain gear.... BTW, anyone going down to Virginia beach for some Croakers this coming weekend?

#20 ·
Jangwuah and Husky---It was very nice meeting you guys! Well, I got the big ol skunk. Jangwuah's buddy hooked acouple smaller rocks and and had a couple other bites. I had nothing at all. My skills must have dwindled some over the winter. I did not see and 45 inches as bluefish had mentioned but life will go on.I will try the pier again. Anyone heard the water temps? Not to much to post about but maybe soon..................Again, it was nice meeting you guys and i hope to do it again! See ya!

#21 ·
C'mon gous! I know at least one of you can backi me up .... :D Someone please tell board that metapeake does hold cow striper in spring and winter,,,i know some of you have seen it.. I look like a liar.... :(
Man! I will be up there coming Monday and I will take my camera with me... :D
Anyone wanna join?

#22 ·
News Flash boys! past week in march's madness! I have 30 of 69 striper catch. Monday one sitting, 32, friday in the misty cold bay, 39. will have pics uploaded here soon. I have been amongst the Matapeake comeraderie for over 7 years through all the seasonal incomming fish species. This doesn't make me special, just blessed when I was the only fisherman on deck for two days, just me, the fish, camera, and all owed to GOD! rods-12.6 master,10' ugly,diawa 10'. reels, penn,bluerunner. string-60 lb firewire. weights 4-6 oz. tight lines and gods blessings to you all.pics :D :D

#24 ·
I do use 5oz at metapeake also,,not so much to throw further but to hold the bottom when tide is moving. It seems pretty shallow and quite front the surface but I have seen tides drifting my 5oz at metapeake
occationally. Plus I fished next to some folks with no talent when comes to casting. Making a long story short, you need to cast straight and hold it there when pier is full otherwise you be spending most of time untanggling the mess or throwing people off the pier.. :)

#25 ·
Me and my dad are thinking of hitting Matapeake tonight just to try it out. Im curious though :confused: has anyone heard anything about Point Lookout??? We are debating on whether to go there or Matapeake.
Just thought i would ask.

#26 ·
Bluefish,

I can personnally vouch for you and the Matapeake stipers in the Spring! ;) Last year I made a kiliing there on bloodworms during the C&R season.

I too use at least 5 (sometimes 6 oz) to hold bottom at Matapeake. When the tide changes at night (and the idiots next to you are sleeping and their lines drifting like crazy :mad: ), you have to be able to:

1. Cast out straight.
2. Hold bottom during the current change
3. Have a pair of clippers handy to cut all the lines that are drifing into your lines and causing havoc. :)

Why go to the pier if you are going to sleep all night? Why not go home if you can't handle the slack periods?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.