Pier and Surf Forum banner
21 - 40 of 71 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
C'mon gous! I know at least one of you can backi me up .... :D Someone please tell board that metapeake does hold cow striper in spring and winter,,,i know some of you have seen it.. I look like a liar.... :(
Man! I will be up there coming Monday and I will take my camera with me... :D
Anyone wanna join?

News Flash boys! past week in march's madness! I have 30 of 69 striper catch. Monday one sitting, 32, friday in the misty cold bay, 39. will have pics uploaded here soon. I have been amongst the Matapeake comeraderie for over 7 years through all the seasonal incomming fish species. This doesn't make me special, just blessed when I was the only fisherman on deck for two days, just me, the fish, camera, and all owed to GOD! rods-12.6 master,10' ugly,diawa 10'. reels, penn,bluerunner. string-60 lb firewire. weights 4-6 oz. tight lines and gods blessings to you all.pics :D :D

Why so much lead. 60# fireline should cast like 16# mono. I don't use anything heavier than 2 oz. 4 to 6 oz. is all I use when wreck fishing. I feel I'm more successful when I use he lighest weight possible.

Catman.

Discussion starter · #24 ·
I do use 5oz at metapeake also,,not so much to throw further but to hold the bottom when tide is moving. It seems pretty shallow and quite front the surface but I have seen tides drifting my 5oz at metapeake
occationally. Plus I fished next to some folks with no talent when comes to casting. Making a long story short, you need to cast straight and hold it there when pier is full otherwise you be spending most of time untanggling the mess or throwing people off the pier.. :)

Me and my dad are thinking of hitting Matapeake tonight just to try it out. Im curious though :confused: has anyone heard anything about Point Lookout??? We are debating on whether to go there or Matapeake.
Just thought i would ask.

Bluefish,

I can personnally vouch for you and the Matapeake stipers in the Spring! ;) Last year I made a kiliing there on bloodworms during the C&R season.

I too use at least 5 (sometimes 6 oz) to hold bottom at Matapeake. When the tide changes at night (and the idiots next to you are sleeping and their lines drifting like crazy :mad: ), you have to be able to:

1. Cast out straight.
2. Hold bottom during the current change
3. Have a pair of clippers handy to cut all the lines that are drifing into your lines and causing havoc. :)

Why go to the pier if you are going to sleep all night? Why not go home if you can't handle the slack periods?

Discussion starter · #28 ·
Master Caster,,Depends on where you live I would go to which ever is closer..I think chance with striper is about same but since it's both C&R why not same some gas..?
It's my 2 cent...

To each his own I guess but a 2oz to 3oz sputnick type sinker will hold the bottom just as well as 6oz bank sinker. As far as crazies fishing Matapeke, I'd rather drive another hour or so and fish The Tank. At least the crazies are grouped at the first 1/3rd of the pier. If you go to the end of pier (about a mile and a 1/8th walk) you'll find the serious fishermen. :D

Catman. ;)

Catman,

Thanks for the advice on the Tank. I have not fished there before but now I know where to go to avoid the crazies! ;)

You'll find me at the end of the pier once I finally get to do some fishing out there. :D

More serious fisherman are at the Tank,but I think the crazies are pretty mutch everywhere.Lets just hope it dosen't get too much out of hand.At Matapeake I use 3-5oz piyramid or storm sinker,but if you use bank sinkers they have to be alot heavier like 5-10ozs.In crouded places there needs to be more coroperation. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Was contemplating going to the Tank tonight, but decided to stop at Matapeake instead. Bluefish, you are right.. The stripers were there (9" - 15" on average) and they were poaching left and right. The pier cleared out at about 9 pm. It was only myself and a group of really nice college students left. About 20 minutes later, my 9' Pinnacle just went flat. Shortly afterward I landed a 42" Striper! I went there to check out your report of these monsters and am now glad I did! I cannot remember who posted last year with intstructions on using a shock leader, but thank you! Once again it did not fail. I use a 9' Pinnacle Raider with 17 lb test and a 50 lb flourocarbon shock leader with a 4 oz pyramid sinker. From landing this beast on the pier to the 4.5' Longfin Mako I caught in the surf last summer, this setup has never failed me. All of you at Pier and Surf are a definite compliment to the sport! Thanks to all of you... Matt

Bayfisher,

I found it hard to believe that you caught 39 rockfish last Friday considering that I fished Matapeake Pier from 7:00 am to 1:30 pm, and you arrived at the pier about 8:30 am. In all that time while we were talking and fishing, you only got two bites while I got none.

While I was loading my fishing equipment in my van on the parking lot before going home, a guy was getting ready to go to the pier. Assuming that he did go to the pier, you ony had the pier to yourself for about 15 minutes. Although, you could have caught all these fish after I left, you were not "the only fisherman on deck" for Friday.

catman's right the further you go on the Tank(pier) the better it is and you don't run into that many crazies, they like to stay close to shore or can't walk that far. I myself won' fish the Tank till the middle or to the end of the summmer,can't keep anything now. :p

Just so you guys know, the DNR Hillsboro Office is responsible for patroling the Matapeake Pier and looking for poachers.

Their number is (410) 758-2890.

Discussion starter · #36 ·
Dirrty Harry~~~

Glad you had a blast on that pier. Only we can do something about those illegal fish kept in pier.. By the way, Where in pier were you fishing from? left, right,or in the middle?

I noticed that when I tried to print all of the messages for this topic, I would only get 8 pages. I tried printview for other long topics and get the same limitation. Actually 9 pages is the maximum, but the 9th page will always be printed blank. Is this limitation setup by PIERANDSURF.COM, or can I change my settings, or what?
[/LIST]

Bluefish,
I was at the end on the left side. I have also saved the DNR Hotline in my phone for the next time. People always look at me like I have 2 heads when I release these fish. They just don't get it :confused: , but they will when they are cuffed and their vehicle is confiscated... I'm looking forward to some more C & R fun. Maybe I'll catch up with you out there sometime.

Did Greencart just nail Bayfisher as a clearly established LIAR???!!!

Bayfisher: your lack of reply suggests you know you were nailed!

What disciplinary measures are appropriate, or do we just ignore such lying windbags?

21 - 40 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.