Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Three of us had whole pier to ourselves and we took a full advantage of it!!
We caugth and released 3 dozen Stripers and few white perch and we had blast catching them till the big boys showed up...
Our line which was no more than 10 pound were snapping like it was a robberband.
Those we brought close enought to see must gone at least 40 inches long.
My shoulder is still hurting from bring in those horses.... After we changed to heavier gear from 8pm til 11pm , stripers from 20 inches to 45 inches were brought in... If any of you want to get into some C&R stiper action near DC this is it..
As we were leaving the pier I am not sure if they were Italians or Arabs but they were keeping all stripers and we ask them nicely to let go their chatch but they were not having it,,they kept everything they caught. Where is a game warden when you need one? :mad:

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Bluefish...Outstanding fishing trip. Were you able to release all fish unharmed and where you guys using circle hooks? As far as the Arabs keeping their fish, report them. I keep the 24hr CATCH A POACHER DNR number is my cell phone (1-800-628-9944) and I don't hesitate to report such activity. After being threatened at knife point about 4 years ago at Conowingo Dam over a couple of guys keeping rock after midnight I don't even confront anyone now, I just call the DNR on the spot.

Catman.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Outstanding! The fish are in...now we just need the season to start

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes Catman! We were all using circle hooks and after we realize stripers were running 10 pounds and up we changed to # 4 hooks..
It was hard trying to squeeze them tiny bloodworms into huge #4 hooks but it was worth it. All fishes were unharmed and needless to say bring the net so you can release them big females to water with out great stress....

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Hey Blue
were you hittin them in the left or right corner? were there any bait fish around ?
thanks Dre'

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Aaargh! I left all my gear back in Tidewater last winter! You guys are killing me!

Take pictures next time you go...could make for nice photos.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
All your gear? You don't have a snoopy rod laying around? You could pull up a 40" rock with a snoopy rod.

Uh, what I meant was you can use some of mine. How about Thursday night?

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Thanks Husky but as you might have guessed, I have a feeling my day job is going to be keeping me a tad busy in the next few weeks :p

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Husky,

I just had my working hours changed. I will get back with you today on whether or not I can hit the pier on Thursday night.

Is this going to be an all nighter?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Hey guys...

I have never fished Matapeake before and i was wondering how do you get there??? This is my year to visit as many new fishing spots as possible. Directions would be great guys... Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
Blue, isn't the DNR spot right behind the pier. To get my bearings together isn't that the spot first exit across the Bay Bridge. Man, if I wasn't busy on Thursday night I would definitely be out there, but I sure may try it out late Friday, depending upon the weather. Let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
I spoke too soon. My wife has plans Thursday night already. I'm actually thinking about going tonight. Plus I heard there is a flood warning for Thursday night--lots of rain.

Yes, take first exit on the right --Romancoke/Metapeake after the bay bridge. There is an entrance on the right. It is sort of easy to drive by it if you haven't been. There is a wood sign (no street sign).

If you get to the pier at the end of the road (Romancoke), you passed it.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
No, I don't like the whether. Won't be going except maybe on Saturday.

Have to try out those fishbites.

Sand Flea, good point--the next few days should be really busy for you with your job--you know given all the fishing people will be doing to relieve stress with the Iraq deal and all. I hadn't thought about all the moderating you will be doing.
:p :D :eek: ;)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There were biting everywhere on the pier but biting on the left corner of pier were constant. I may hit the pier tonight depends on my job I guess but if i am up there a person with matching 3 ugly 12' with matching reel would be me....

Someone please bring them pier net cus...I am broke buying licenses from VA,MD,DC,Saltwater,Trout....and goes on and on......... :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Shoot!!!!!! RAIN RAIN AND MORE RAIN!!!

I don't thik I can make it tonight but if you are heading up there please take your rain gear.... BTW, anyone going down to Virginia beach for some Croakers this coming weekend?

·
Registered
961 Posts
very possibly going to VA Beach next weekend. We were planing on AI but tha water might not be warm enough yet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Jangwuah and Husky---It was very nice meeting you guys! Well, I got the big ol skunk. Jangwuah's buddy hooked acouple smaller rocks and and had a couple other bites. I had nothing at all. My skills must have dwindled some over the winter. I did not see and 45 inches as bluefish had mentioned but life will go on.I will try the pier again. Anyone heard the water temps? Not to much to post about but maybe soon..................Again, it was nice meeting you guys and i hope to do it again! See ya!

1 - 20 of 71 Posts