Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
fished 7:30 - 10:30 pm.

Before I had a line in the water a guy next to me caught a huge spot. That was it for more than an hour. I got totally skunked. Around me I saw three 10 inch snappers all night. Very disappointing.

That was my third trip to Matapeake, second time getting skunked. The one time I did manage to catch 2 fish they were nothing to brag about. In addition, I have not seen anyone around me catch a fish large enough to warrant mention.

Is this consistent with anyone else's experiences at Matapeake? People on the pier tell me that they catch many fish there......just not when I've been there. I really like the spot. It is clean and not far from home, but catching fish is the goal and the water seems real shallow.

In defense of the location, anytime I have gone and had a slow night the reports from other locals (SPSP) have also been slow.......so I don't know if it has been just bad luck, or the spot is actually not very good. Your thought fellow fisherman........

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
My take is this.........

At Metapeake there are two holes which regularly produce, however casting distance is the key. If you can get the primo spots on the pier, and can really get it out there, you'll catch fish. On that note, I have been to Metapeake and couldn't get a good spot and didn't catch anything of note. I left there and went to SPSP and did very well! I have never been skunked at SPSP (knock wood), but then again I only fish the tide changes and watch out for that nasty westerly wind. I predicted good fishing for these last three days and was hoping somebody would make it to the park. But again, just as casting distance and location is important at Metapeake so it is at Sandy Point. With that fat moon, moving tide, and overcast, if it doesn't rain real bad, this evening should be a blast!! Look for a big black guy with a purple shopping cart, that will be me.

I didn't get the floor tile finished (honey-do list) but I'm hoping that mama will have some mercy on me and let me get out this evening.:rolleyes:

Tight Lines

1 - 2 of 2 Posts