Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the market common pond stocked. Seems like and odd question but I wondered if they actually stock the pond or any other ponds in the area.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I know the pond, but can't answer the question. I have seen folks fishing in some of the ponds in that area, but no idea if they're stocked or not. Sometimes ponds get fish in them when wading/water birds such as egrets, herons or ducks get fertilized fish eggs stuck on them from other waters and they fall off in a new location. I've fished ponds that had never been stocked but had fish of various types in them. However, it is possible some of these ponds get stocked too. Wish I could give you a better answer. There's likely a property management company that deals with that property, so you could ask them, but as far as fishing a pond like that, asking might also open the proverbial can of worms due to liability concerns they might have.

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
They were stocked with trout one winter as part of the Orvis promotion a while back. They wouldn't be likely to survive summer temps and it's been years since. I don't know about other species. Probably bass and bream. I'd give the Orvis store a call and ask them what's in there. They should know.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I used to work not far down the road from there, near the airport. There's a pond down there that I've seen folks fishing many times. I also would guess bass and bream in them as well. I wasn't aware of the Orvis stocking promotion.

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
I used to work not far down the road from there, near the airport. There's a pond down there that I've seen folks fishing many times. I also would guess bass and bream in them as well. I wasn't aware of the Orvis stocking promotion.
I just looked - it was Nov 2014. If they're still fishing there should be bass and bream in there. People will bring their fish into the local ponds as well then they spawn yearly...pass on eating any of them though.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I just looked - it was Nov 2014. If they're still fishing there should be bass and bream in there. People will bring their fish into the local ponds as well then they spawn yearly...pass on eating any of them though.
Thanks! I moved down here from MD in 2015, which is why I wasn't aware of it! I'm sure many community ponds get stocked like that too, with folks putting some in them that they had caught elsewhere. When I lived in MD and was driving a truck, I had a stop in DE, where I would have to layover for 10 hours. Right behind the store I delivered to was a big pond, which separated the shopping center from the housing development behind there. Many times I carried a fly rod with me, and would fish a couple of hours before getting some sleep. I don't know if that pond had been stocked either, but I caught LM bass, bream, Crappies, and even Pickerel from it, and saw some kids catching Bullhead catfish in there. I watched a fellow land a bass on a jig one evening, that was at least 5 lbs, from that pond. Best way to find out if there are any fish in a pond, is go there & fish! :)

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
Thanks! I moved down here from MD in 2015, which is why I wasn't aware of it! I'm sure many community ponds get stocked like that too, with folks putting some in them that they had caught elsewhere. When I lived in MD and was driving a truck, I had a stop in DE, where I would have to layover for 10 hours. Right behind the store I delivered to was a big pond, which separated the shopping center from the housing development behind there. Many times I carried a fly rod with me, and would fish a couple of hours before getting some sleep. I don't know if that pond had been stocked either, but I caught LM bass, bream, Crappies, and even Pickerel from it, and saw some kids catching Bullhead catfish in there. I watched a fellow land a bass on a jig one evening, that was at least 5 lbs, from that pond. Best way to find out if there are any fish in a pond, is go there & fish! :)
Yeah people probably have put crappie in there too even though they're bad news for a small pond.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Plenty of big bass, catfish, bream, & pumpkinseed. Problem is overfishing, those ponds are hit so hard constantly. So fishing is great if you find something they haven't seen and can avoid all the algae growth on bottom.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts