Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will be down to Marco this year, had good luck at the walkway under bridge of US951 using live shrimp and a small split shot...caught a couple of snook, sheephead, small shark...a great time all around !

Wanted to try the Marco Island jetty this year...but what is a jetty is that fishing from the beach or is there a rock pile that you walk up on ??

Also, do you need longer rods to fish the jetty or other special equipment.

This board has been very helpful in the past maybe you can help me again...I'll be sure to post my results !

Cheers,

Piker

·
Registered
2,214 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Koz...you are a valuable source of fishing information and invaluable to the board.

Piker

·
Registered
515 Posts
From the Virginia Board, but I get to FLA quite often on business and usually fish the Marco Island Jetty on the end of South Collier Drive a couple times a year.

There's a pay-parking lot for the public beach walkway right there and then it's a short 200 yard walk over to the jetty(s). There's two of them, but most only fish on the one.

The majority of local guys that I've seen there in March are using stiff rods but fishing up close for Sheepshead with sandfleas. I've hooked big snook and seen big snook hooked from that jetty, also a run of bonnethead sharks, flounder, jacks of all trade, and occasionally a pompano, tarpon or trout.

I take way to light of a rod down there usually because I like to throw jigs and I inevitably end up netting live bait and tossing them out ... which leads to many catch and quick-release hook-ups where I don't see the fish and they get my line and leader.

I love fishing there though, and have my first trip set for March 13th to try there this year.

THROW MORE BIG ONES BACK

Jake Ace

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info Jake ! I never know what equipment to bring either...I usually bring the lighter stuff...If I break one off that's ok as long as the fish survives !

I will be looking forward to your report of the Marco Jetty in March...I won't be there til March 27th myself and post results on the board.

Piker:cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts