Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am a NC native but will be in Marco Island this weekend and it is my first time in the area. I am staying at the Boat House Motel on the Marco River(?) and will have a car.

Going out with a guide on Saturday and 1/2 day on Sunday so I am covered there but am arriving on Friday afternoon and didn't know if there was a decent place to fish. I am bringing a 7ft Tsunami travel rod with a 4500/5500 Penn Spinfisher.

Any advice on fishing spots for 4-5 hours on Friday afternoon. Also, are there any good local restaurants for liquid refreshment and seafood?

Thanks for your time,
Jeff

·
Registered
633 Posts
So far marco island is one of my favorite places in south florida, never tried the fishing but the place is great! I hear theres great jack action there! Anyways as far as restaurants go, the best restaurant there is there is Nacho Mama's! its mexican quisine but oh boy is it good! The best fish i have ever had has been there! They have some guy singing songs and they have sports on, its a very nice place! If you do stop by you CANNOT miss their grouper! I dont know what its called but its a grouper over some mexican rice....Oh my god i would go back just for that! its delicious i tell you! I dont know where its at either, just thought i might drop in! I think you will love it! Next time if you want a change try the marriot there, its like a palace inside man!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Well, if you are doing guided fishing that's the best way to do Marco in a weekend, if you don't know the area.

There are two rods in to Marco, Collier Boulevard and San Marco Road. Both have bridges on them that will offer good fishing. When coming in from Miami we take San Marco and that will take you past a lot of mangroves where you can fish for snook, and then over the Goodland Bridge, where you can fish as well.

There is also pretty good beach fishing on the island, particularly on the south and north ends.

A friend of mine knows a place or two in Everglades City and Chokoloskee where very good food and drink may be had. I will ask him and see if I can post it for you.

If you plan on driving around, be aware that the Collier County Sherrifs work those roads and that stretch of Tamiami Trail pretty hard, and they are not known for their sense of humor. Use caution, particularly if you have been enjoying some adult beverages.

Have fun, and post pics when done...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice guys. We will see how it goes and I will provide a fishing report when I get back.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Marco Island is top 10 most beautiful places on the continental US in my opinion. I have tarpon fished the canals from boats, and my brother in law had a lot of success fly fishin for largeeeee snookies off wading the beaches one weekend this summer. Dont think they are running in that close right now but could be wrong. Like Cerberus said, find the bridges if you are on a deadline becasue they can always provide at least some pullage. Good luck and enjoy that area, amazing place.

·
Super Moderator
3,417 Posts
Thanks for this info, guys, even though I didn't start the thread and have only fished Florida a couple of times. I have two cousins in Florida. One lives in Punta Gorda and the other at Marco Island. I have been to Punta Gorda several years ago, but never to Marco. It looks beautiful from the pics. We have open invitations to come and stay with them (both retired), and my wife has been wanting us to make a trip down that way one spring. My sister-in-law also lives in Lady Lake, and I hear there's some good freshwater action around there as well, but we've never made that trip either.

I will keep this info in mind.

Thanks Again!
AJ

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guys,

The trip to Marco was great. We went out Saturday for a full day with the guide and caught no less than 40 snook, 10 jacks, many catfish and had 8-10 tarpon bites but no hook-ups. Went out half a day Sunday and targeted tarpon and caught two 20-40 pounders along with 5-6 snook and several more catfish. I am not sure where we fished exactly but the guide was great (Rob of Tarpon Tails) and he put us on the fish. Just free-lined live bait.

Food and entertainment was good. We went to the Snook Inn outside bar both nights and ate in Isles of Capri Saturday night.

Overall a great trip and beautiful place to fish. Of to Ocracoke in two weeks for the big drum.

Take care,
Jeff

·
Registered
506 Posts
Excellent

Glad to hear you had a good trip.

Marco is great, and it sound's like your guide gave you your money's worth.

Very nice, indeed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts