Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a good conversation with a marine biologist about mantis shrimp and what feeds on them. Was suprised to find out that the men in the brown suit will fill up on them before and durring spawning, there a good source of protein for these fish. Anyone know what structure and habitat hold these shrimp? :confused:
Bigblock

·
Registered
363 Posts
Believe it or not while fishing for the man in the brown suit off Seagull we were catching them on hook and line while fishing for spot and croakers for live bait. I thought it was a fluke but we caught some everytime we went....

·
Registered
888 Posts
Ive caught 3 cobia off of seagull pier and all three had mantis shrimp in thier belly. That 50+ pounder from last year had 25 of them in her stomach. You catch them once in awhile fishing for spot and stuff. Just be carefull handling them because they will cut your hands in a blink of an eye....geo

·
Registered
270 Posts
One of the saltwater fishing mags had a three part article on the "Biters stingere and stabbers of the Ocean" ( or something like that) and the mantis shrimp was in there. Sounds like a pretty nasty beast!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I saw them on a show on the discovery channel and it said they have almost the same impact as a 22 short! They have been known to crack fish tanks. I have found them in big flounder.

·
Registered
9 Posts
when we were at seagull, I've caught some of these, however I thouhgt it looked more like a baby lobster or rock shrimp. I've also left one of the hook before to see if anything would hit it, don't know if it got off, or I missed the hit, but it was gone later. So the front claws are very dangerous?
Jules :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts