Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Too busy with work, and family summer vacations lately - I have not had a chance to fish last a couple of months. Well, last night I decided that I will be fishing this afternoon. Told my boss I will take off an hour earlier, went and got my shrimp. I bought 3 dozens medium, but the bait shop guy gave me about 50 of them. Got to my "honey Hole" around 5:00 PM, the bites started at 5:30 PM and continued until 7:00. I got broke off at least 15 times before I could pulled in the first one. Well, I limited out first trip of this summer, I also caught 2 big trout (around 20"), gave them to the guy fish next to me. Biggest snapper at 18.5", smallest at 14".

·
Registered
884 Posts
Snappers

Those suckers are Damn good eating any way you fix them.

Where is this Snapper Hole?

I catch alot near a Sea wall in NSB most 12in or less though unlike that good haul.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Nice haul of mangos there. I caught my limit from the Gandy Bridge catwalk Monday afternoon. They are all over Tampa Bay right now. Were you fishing East Coast or West Coast?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry guys - this honey hole is located within CCAFS and NASA. Only badged employee is allow to fish.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Inspired by DVO and flounder report, I tried Daytona area today. Equiped with shrimp and menow, I spent couple of morning hours on Sunglow pier. Not a nipple for me as usual. There were several blk drums caught by others, more so in the earlier morning before I arrived. I then tried Dunlantown (?) bridge. There was only one lonely sole there when I arrived. He was at one of "hole" that produced some fishes over the past couple of weeks when I was there. But he did not do so well today with only one shark pulled in. He left shortly after. I lost a dozen of shrimps to small pins or else within 15 min, then nothing for a while before wind started hawling which apparently moved the outgoing tide. The mango snapper bite was like switched on. I caught 5 within 20 minutes with 4 keepers, all on menow. The bite was turned off as quickly as did on. At least this trip really produced a nice mango snapper dinner, thanks DVO.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Nice work. Congrats on the haul, and yep they are GREAT eatin.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
myuo8o2

Hi myuo8o2,

You just reminded me right there. I forgot to mentioned that most of my mango snappers catch are just before or right after STORM move in/out. I normally fish after work (after 4:30 PM), and you knew weather at the cape this time of the year ALWAYS (95%) rain/storm during that time +/- 1 hour. Once they turn on, they are really on.

Glad you catch some mango this time. By the way, where do you live in Orlando?. I live on the East side (Avalon Park Blvd near Waterford mall). If it is convinience, I will take you fishing with me sometime - I like winter - pompano season!!!

·
Registered
170 Posts
It is well known that current movement, tide switching cause some fishes like Mango, Gag feeding. The problem is you have to be there. I had not have much luck until this time even since the pomp run ended, even though I have always tried both coasts. I live over the west end of Orlando, where it takes me 1.5 hrs to either side including a short stop exchanging my hard earned US dollars for mideast oil. DVO, Avalon Park is right on my way to Playalinda. I think I am still on your list to your NASA fishing hole :). I just can't wait until pomp run starts back on this fall.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts