Pier and Surf Forum banner
101 - 107 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
Redheaded fella got one last night at the home town pier.

There is a secret spot seldom visited because it is a trek that will produce but it gets really dicey with a big blow. Only the young would have been out there last night, but they surely would have got into them.

I checked the video feed today and it looks to have slowed down some from the crowd aspect. One thing that happens today that did not happen back in the day is instant communication, so folks that live on the OBX can in a moments notice jump right into a big bite. Back in the day, before Captain Kirk communicators we did not even tell the Pier house employees if there were a few Drum around, if you wanted to know, you had to come out and check under the bench to see if any Drum were stashed under there waiting be put into the walk-in freezer when we were done fishing for the night.

Just checked video feed again, looks like a bunch of Buzzards milling around with their paws tucked into white Grundens.
The Oregon Inlet fleet started the White Grundens Bibs fashionista craze back in the 1980's, then along came the short top Xtratuf easy on boots.

I have to admit that I had to get a pair of easy on Xtratufs because my older regular taller boots were not easy to get on with thick socks. Anyway a whole bunch of white bibs waiting on a clicker to go off at the moment.

When I fished commercial it was the dark green Grundens and a pair of white shrimping boots along with a fish-blood stained white t-shirt and cotton shorts as the standard uniform. I cannot remember what happened to my white boots, they vanished into the greyness of my memories.....I still wear dark green Grundens.....

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Florida Twin just decked one and missed another bite. It is not foggy today so I can make out a few fellas that I know.

Seen three come over the rail in last 10 minutes. Current moving real good. Fish are Chesapeake golden bronze colored.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
185 + or - DrumProRodbuilder won the MAN Joe Mullet Memorial Tournament 2018

Perhaps, there are multiple people who are already over 100, the ones who have even more are silent as they want the other people to rest and relax whilst they keep on it...............

It depends on the weather, if it stays nice and the fish do not get blown offshore into deep water when they move South of the point in Rodanthe in Mid November.

Funny thing about Drum Fishing, everyone who is a serious contender knows exactly how many they have caught in a given year.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
I wanted to point out some unwritten rules that I have always been careful of, to the point that I know what bad Karma is and where it comes from....

Don't step in the pier nets, nets are for Drum not for your tootsies... or your Xtratuf blue marlin camo or what ever you wear fishing....

Pier nets are not for Sharks, if you want to net your Shark and eat it...move to some other country....

People who get their glamour shot picture taken whilst standing in the pier net holding up fish are doomed.......

If you come across a hook buried in a Pier net rope or in a Pier Bucket rope, take the time to get the hook out....if you do not...you will find one in your hand sometime in the future......

I have never had my picture taken whilst holding my Rod....Crowd I run with did not carry their cameras with them on the beach, in the water...crowd I run with does not like to buy phones that have not gone through at least five years or more cycles...

I guess one day If I ever get another Drum on one of my SurfStiks I will have to request a photo of me...the Drum...the SurfStik. perhaps I may be so excited that I will be caught standing in the net......

Thank fully the wind died down, along with the Drumfest so I am able to spend more time making a living rather than watching the net coming over the rail via WebCam..

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
Also If you take your pictures standing holding the Drum with one hand by the gill plate and you are pushing the Drum closer to the camera with your knee.............you are cheating......

If your Drum is so big you can hardly lift it with two hands...you are not cheating....but you are weak and should consider some type of weight training regimen....

101 - 107 of 107 Posts