Pier and Surf Forum banner
81 - 89 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
That's tough. Bob was a nice guy, will pray for his family. My first custom heaver was also a Lamiglas 150-2 from his shop.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Bob fished the Big Rock a lot when he was younger and he mostly would put some real team players on his boat to increase his odds. Having a boatload of real fishermen onboard for the Big Rock was different than having a couple Mates and a Captain and the rest of the crew mostly older out of shape successful businessmen who likely spent more time around a conference table than the deck of a Hatteras Sportfisher.

One afternoon back in the Day on the end of Rodanthe Pier I was casting my then brand new Mann Stretch Deep thirty plug. Still have a few, and they wiggle real nice like a Rapala, The Mann plugs are sized for offshore and Cobia. I was blind casting the 12" lure getting used to its action and ready for any Cobia that would Blunder by.....

Wacko comes out to the end nursing a beer and Wacko is despondent...Wacko had been recruited by Bob to be the designated hitter to man an 80 wide in the Big Rock and to reel in any critters they came across during Big Rock Week out of Morehead City. Bob would pay for everything and the crew would drive the Bullfrog down to Morehead and stay there for the tournament.

Bob had made a deal with Wacko if they were far up the leaderboard at the end of the Tournament, that Bob would buy Wacko a brand new Suburban with part of the Tournament winnings. Someone can correct me if I am wrong because I am recollecting a story from several decades ago, but a boat back then could only kill one Marlin, and if a Marlin was brought to the dock for weigh in, that was the only entry... the Boat was then required to release all future Marlin. The Marlin had to meet minimum size requirements and the top three boats with dead Marlin won significant cast prizes, back then as it is today.

Day two or Day three of the Tournament the Bullfrog hooks up to a big Marlin. Wacko stays hard on the reel and he gets the Big Marlin to the stern in place for the Gaff men...............Bob estimated that the fish would go 350 pounds or so and in a few seconds made the decision to go for it....go for first place that is...... which usually took a 500 pounder to win.

The leader was cut and what would have been third place and $300,000 in prize winnings that year went swimming off, along with Wacko's brand new Suburban into history.

Bob was like that he was all about the Win, did not want to settle for place or show..........

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Seems like this Covid Delta is not going to let up. I have followed a well known Biker on the Internet for a long time and his writings the previous week before Sturgis, he wrote that the Bro's do not give a damn about Covid and the Bro's are coming to Sturgis to Party. Evidently one of the Bro's brought the Covid with him and the well known Biker on the Internet contracted it at the Sturgis Rally, we shall see how it goes for him.

Up where I am living now Masks are prevalent, when I venture out to the public areas. When I check photos and webcams down OBX way, no one is masked up outside. There are going to be losses this winter. Folks may complain about Freedom, my view is you are exercising your Freedom to be stupid, if you do not take steps to protect yourself, especially if you are older which is what 90% of the Sturgis Rally goers seemed to be.

On a more positive note I happened to watching the SurfChex webcam of Surf City Pier and an older man was hooked up on the end. I watched for 15 minutes in somewhat annoyance as he navigated the 16 foot tall barriers of anchor rods. I guess the older man was not a regular because some of the folks with their stinking stuck up in the air anchor rods were not taking them down and in one several minute time period the Man who was hooked up had his rod taken from him to get through the obstacle course, by one of the anchor rod owners. Never found out what it was, likely a Shark because the fellas following him with gaffs never dropped the gaffs over the railing and the action was hidden from the camera view by a light pole.

Most of the time I king fished most everyone laid there rods down on the railing, instead of sticking them in plastic tubes and bolting their fighting rods to the railing with that aluminum thingy. It made for quick handling of over and unders as the fish made its way north or south along the end of the T when hooked up Less fish were loss that way, you did not have to wait for someone to take their anchor down and re-adjust the line on the fighting rod. Rodanthe pier back in the day had a sign, no sand-spiked rods. If you tied your anchor rod to the railing, we made you untie it.

Frisco Pier was an exception and Frisco Pier was Fence Post City, folks wanted to get their baits out into deeper water. Frisco was a pain in the ass to fish, but sometimes it was the only good spot with an OBX SW wind. Pain in the ass to cast a heaver around Fence Posts.

I have my new super figure-eight pendulum cast dialed in to muscle memory, at some point I have to go where I can let the sinker fly and we shall see how far it goes. If I keep my arms up above my shoulders this cast will be 100% above the railings even on a stubbed off Pier. Jury is out whether I will even step out on a pier this Fall. If I do there are going to be complaints about safety due to the pendulum...my advice will be step back and wear a mask.....

I heard Burger King in French Fry Alley has closed down, another Legend bites the Dust.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Interesting 4x4 news I learned today, more related to Fishing the beach.

2021 Michigan State Police tested the new 2021 Ford F150 Police Interceptor 4x4 equipped with the new 400 HP EcoBoost 3.5L motor.

I am not sure yet if this model is available to the general public but here is the important part.

Michigan State Police have been the testing organization for Police vehicles for decades.

So here is a real world scenario that could happen if you get your paws on one of these 2021 F150 Police Interceptors....You might be scoffing a pick up truck interceptor, especially if you grew up when I did the only fast Pickups were either Ford Lightnings or SRT-10 Dodges or back in the day the SS454 Silverado. The rest of the Pickups were pretty much slugs in the performance world;

Here are the Michigan State Police 2021 results:

2021 5.7L Hemi Charger Police Interceptor zero to sixty 5.96 seconds

2021 3.5L F150 4x4 Police Interceptor zero to sixty 5.42 seconds

You can see where I going with this, I am not sure if any of you plan on going zero to sixty in under 5.5 seconds on the beach, but I know I need to...... this is pretty epic, imagine for a second you are being tailed too close by a Park Ranger in a 5.7L Tahoe 4x4 (7.88 seconds zero to sixty) some flashing strobe lights appear in your rear view mirror..... you decide not today Jose....... and put the hammer down on your new Police Interceptor F150 and soon that Ranger's Tahoe is getting smaller and smaller in your rear view mirror until it out of sight as you fly over the ramp and bury the pedal to the metal North on Route 12 and make for the Basnight Bridge.......

Sadly in real life you would encounter a roadblock of machine gun equipped State Troopers somewhere North of Mirlo Beach but I was dreaming whilst typing.

But seriously, imagine a beach vehicle that can out run a Charger Police Hemi and out run a ecoboost Taurus interceptor and still have room for all your gear and full size coolers in the truck bed and a couple of Hotties in the back seats and...... your stick man in the shotgun captains chair seat who can let you know whether that Hemi Charger with the Flashing Blue Strobes really is gaining on you......

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
I just figured out that the F150 Premier which costs north of $60K has this 400 HP eco boost in it.

$60K for a pickup truck that is not a Raptor is stunning.

After some quick calculations that a 400 HP 5.0 Coyote Engine equipped F150 which is being practically given away at around $38K makes the 3.5L Eco Boost seem unrealistic for a beach vehicle.

One thing that a $3000 F150 and a $65,000 F150 have in common is that if you live at the beach, after 20 years or so, sometimes less the truck frame will rust out in the gap between the bed and the cab, it is like a slow-motion cutting torch....

On another there has been some activity around the Inlets...Notice the Shark Attack on this example

81 - 89 of 89 Posts