Pier and Surf Forum banner
41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
DrumPro the good looking ones anyway, always have a Hottie in the background. You seldom see these Hotties because they are are either at work supporting the DrumPro and at home taking care of things while the DrumPro does what he does. So this does not readily identify them.

Seagulls and Buzzards always are circling because DrumPro's change baits frequently and there is always food to be had. But Seagulls often circle over families on the beach because the kids can not resist giving them all the crackers Mom brought for snacks. So this does not readily identify them.

Easy way to tell a DrumPro is to watch where their bait lands on a cast. If that bait lands 20-30 yards further than your best cast with bait, then likely it is a DrumPro. If your bait lands 20-30 yards further than the rest of the flock, then you must be the DrumPro.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I want to grow up to be a drum pro one day. I'll never own a fancy rod though. I am destined to walk the sand holding old Pinnacle Shorelines and Tica T2's with most of the clear coat gone.
I will divulge that I have been practicing my cast with the goal of getting 20 yds past the bravest boogie boarder. I will also be debuting a new, never before seen chunk bait at Naggs Head in 3 weeks. It should be done simmering in the crock pot and ready for the freezer in 6 days.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Pinnacle absolute was a decent rod in its day. I still have the butts from two of them I owned that I fitted to SurfStiks. I plan on bringing my SurfStiks when I show up on the sand and am contemplating just leaving my CTS rods at home. This will force me to fish Old School. Might even use a 60 year old ABU 8000 to trick a few big Boys onto the sand. Joe Mullet before he passed always threatened to bring his Abu 8000 into the fray. Abu 8000 first came to market in 1964 and although it has its shortcomings as far as a gamechanger, it was and still is.

If you buy a $700 Drum Rod/Reel setup and use it for the next 20 years that works out to $35 per year, which seems cheap to me. If you build your own rod with a quality blank your cost is around $550 for the Rod/Reel setup.

Setup I am referring to is a 70/30 CTS 1507 with a Penn Fathom 15. If you get this then you have the same exact as a lot of the DrumPro's who have won the MAN.

Secret Drum Hotline reported that a 70 some year old Country Boy DrumPro and I mean OLdDrumPro is putting in the work at a secret spot and could be in contention for the Spring Top of the Leaderboard.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Secret Drum Hotline revealed a aerial photo of the Point area.

This is the breakdown for acreage division, which if you are a Birdie you likely will find ideal for fornication.

1. 95% of available sand above mean high tide belongs to a Oystercatcher.

2. Remainder 5% available sand above mean high tide belongs to parking area. The good news if you get there early you can park your truck in the front row of a three deep parking area. The bad news if the tide comes up with big surf, your truck will be in the water and you will have no way out.

Better than totally blocking off the Point and manning a fence with AR-15 toting Rangers but certainly not what is ideal.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Went by there last night after fishing elsewhere the majority of the day trip. Definitely not ideal.

If you are first in , definitely will be one of the last out. Traffic jam with no way out at dusk

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
North of the Point in the Spring is Sharkland. That is where they live.

Traffic Jam at the Point is going to turn bad news for the Front Row suckers when a weather system gets cranked up and the Spring Tides decide to over wash that itty bitty section they call the Parking Area. On the right weekend night with the right wind and right tides it could prove to be epic as far as Jarvis is concerned.

One of the things I do about four or five times a day is feed the birds on my back patio. One bird I call Fat Bird who is a little on the porky side, will fly into my Garage and alert me that it time for me to throw out some more peanuts.

I realize it was never about the birds, but about banning people and wanting pristine wilderness areas cut off from humans like Fishermen's Island at the Mouth of the Chesapeake. Look at some aerials of Fishermen's Island and you can see it is just like the Point and likely is slam full of Cobia and Drum within casting distance all Summer long with an onshore wind blowing.

·
Registered
366 Posts
North of the Point in the Spring is Sharkland. That is where they live.

Traffic Jam at the Point is going to turn bad news for the Front Row suckers when a weather system gets cranked up and the Spring Tides decide to over wash that itty bitty section they call the Parking Area. On the right weekend night with the right wind and right tides it could prove to be epic as far as Jarvis is concerned.

One of the things I do about four or five times a day is feed the birds on my back patio. One bird I call Fat Bird who is a little on the porky side, will fly into my Garage and alert me that it time for me to throw out some more peanuts.

I realize it was never about the birds, but about banning people and wanting pristine wilderness areas cut off from humans like Fishermen's Island at the Mouth of the Chesapeake. Look at some aerials of Fishermen's Island and you can see it is just like the Point and likely is slam full of Cobia and Drum within casting distance all Summer long with an onshore wind blowing.
Every time I drive over Fisherman's Island I think to myself "If it's Fisherman's Island, why cant we fish on it?"

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Secret Drum Hotline was blowing up my phone last night. It was a reminder that outside the world of broadband telephones and home offices under some sort of personal lockdown that it is Drum Season on the OBX.

These four are at the top of the MAN leaderboard 2021.

Sunday results only not cumulative for 2021. I think the fellas are in the low to high 20's cumulative at this point.

DRumPRo RodBuilder: got around 10 or 12 Sunday

DRumPro GolfPro: got around 8 Sunday

DRumPro MoyockMan: got 5 Sunday

DRumPro SavFish: Clammed up so unless you were there who knows how many he had Sunday?

It was blowing around 25 MPH so this was not for the old and infirmed or the timid.

DRumPro Joker sent of nice picture of DrumPro BikerRicky with a nice fish and a nice rod built by DRumPro RodBuilder that I think was from yesterday.

If anyone wants to Clarify things which I doubt that is what Drum Season 2021 is shaping up as of today.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
If you find yourself losing again this year, remember that can change with one epic tide in the right place at the right time.

One Spring more than a few years back I pretty and fishing was not so crowded. I was fishing on the Secret Island and conditions were less than ideal. Spring Tides were over-washing the South End a long long way. It is disconcerting to be in a low lying area by yourself and the tide coming in at night so you have find higher ground, especially if you are going to be out all night on the beach.

So I did some scouting up the beach at low tide and low and behold I found about a 20 foot cut in the outer bar. This cut was the only visible one I found, in 10 miles. I noticed a washed up Cedar Tree and had the place marked. Went to town to resupply and came back out for the afternoon bite.

When I got back to secret cut, there were a couple work-type trucks parked at it and 5-6 young guys drinking beer. they were not regular DrumPro's. (If they had been and even if they did not like me I would have parked and commenced to fish that cut, which you could get in with a long cast. I headed down a half mile to where I could cast out over the bar, but I did not get a hit in three hours fishing.

It was getting close to dusk and I could activity at the cut.

A fella was walking towards me, from the cut, with the kind of walk where you know he needs help. You tend to help people in need out on the beach, so I expected him to be in need.

They needed a jumpstart. I carry cables.

Got in my Truck and we drove to the cut. The fellas fishing there were putting away their spinning rods and heading home. I asked them how they had done and one guy said they had caught a whole bunch of Redfish. After looking at their tackle I asked if the fish had any size to them, so he get out his phone and there in perhaps a dozen different photos was a bunch of smiling Country Boys holding up Drum anywhere from 45"-50". They said as soon as the tide starting to come in it was non-stop.......every cast got bit, they lost a bunch, break-offs due to lighter tackle...Best fishing these young guys had ever had.

Their Truck started they wished me good luck, but the tide had come full and Drum coming in could come in anywhere they wanted over that bar, not just in the cut. A thunderstorm came in and I had to give it up, not a touch to my baits.

Next day the wind went NW 40 and blew the Drum back out into deeper water......

·
Registered
56 Posts
Not much going on down here right now. For us mere mortal fishermen, hard to find anything other than Sharks and rays....tried the Point, northern beaches, southern beaches, even went to Ocracoke for the day yesterday.

Some sea mullet and occasional lost puppy drum in reports but that is about it. Wind is getting bad from the wrong way....resorted to finding a puppy drum on a sandwich at Dirty Dicks in Avon.....

·
Registered
767 Posts
The Pro's were definitely adding to their tallys. I had to release one fish after a photo-op for one Pro, when his second rod went off. We had a good trip, never fished super late but still managed to pick off a few. Broke in a new rod on the second cast in the middle of the day which is always fun, and my wife caught her very first beach fish. Be back on the 3rd.

Attachments

·
Registered
699 Posts
The Pro's were definitely adding to their tallys. I had to release one fish after a photo-op for one Pro, when his second rod went off. We had a good trip, never fished super late but still managed to pick off a few. Broke in a new rod on the second cast in the middle of the day which is always fun, and my wife caught her very first beach fish. Be back on the 3rd.
nice!...

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Seems like an epic bite has been going on for select people at select spots at select times.

Calls for certain people to get jobs or leave the beach are in place, or at least take a break so others may have a chance.

If you were there you were on fire.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Seems like an epic bite has been going on for select people at select spots at select times.

Calls for certain people to get jobs or leave the beach are in place, or at least take a break so others may have a chance.

If you were there you were on fire.
That's what I like to hear. I'll be at Naggs Head next weekend just in time to enjoy 30 mph gusts with Mr Sputniks. Maybe I can find a drum blown up on the beach to stage a photo with.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thursday night thru Friday were definitely epic....several hundred drum beaches at the point as water warmed up......of course in my infinite wisdom I took Thursday off to do some photography and found out Fri morning but got in on it Friday evening. Fun times for all.

A bunch of nice drum put on the beach over 36 hours. I didn't bring my waders so I did not stay out all night, started getting chilly. But went back Sat morning and spoke to several that had stayed the night and put around 20 on the beach.

Be interesting to see the scoreboard now....wonder if it was as good in other places...

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
GolfPro said last night he was grinding between 7 to 11 fish nightly when he can fish and he felt he was falling further behind on the leaderboard.

How may one ask can one fall further behind when double digits for one or two tides?

One thing is sure four or five DrumPro's have been having epic times, 20-25 fish nights per man is quite remarkable, especially when some spots are a cluster...k of space limitations. These people need to go back to work somewhere or at least apply for a job, preferably somewhere far from the OBX.

41 - 60 of 83 Posts