Pier and Surf Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Put Epoxy on the new guides I wrapped on my 1307 yesterday and my new/old 1307 is back to being presentable. The temp was low in the garage where I set up the rod turning dryer but I managed to pull it off with my alcohol burner. Cold is the enemy of Threadmaster.

Threadmaster is the enemy of nice furniture and carpet so I do it out in garage and take my chances with sludgy Epoxy in the cold months.

Jury is still out on whether larger Cork handles are better in my paws than cork tape with its smaller diameter as to which one I prefer. I will prefer the one that gets the bait out a bit further. But the cool thing is that you can change it up later if you care to without much drama.

Only Drama in rod building is when you break the blank tip or a blank butt with some mishap, have done both. Both happened on Fenwick SurfSticks.

Anyway I will cast the two alternatives side by side and see what out casts the other with identical reels and line and sinkers. I have a feeling that there is not going to be much difference.

Do not have any new Drum Pictures from Secret Drum Hotline to share yet, a month or two away.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I still prefer the cork rings. I clamp a small piece of a board to the drill press. Drill a hole a quarter inch deep the same size as the ring. Swap bits to the blank size (7/8 inch seem to work best for me on a 22mm butt), and drill the ring. I take the rings and use a similar size piece of pvc and cork clamp to glue the rings. Ive turn the cork both on the pvc and the blank, both work well. I don’t think it makes much difference in casting distance but I like the feel and it offers a little more customization.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Nice looking grip, looks like its got better Feng Shu than most.

It looks like you turned the top of the grip almost to the thickness of the blank, do you put some type of sealant on the cork to help hold it together?

I have not made any cork grips from just the rings but appreciate the effort that it takes to do it.

I have gotten to the point where it takes me so long just to wrap guides due to eyesight issues related to age that I do not add any extras like Butt wrap.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Garbo, I don’t seal it until after I turn it down. This is burl cork it may be a little more durable than natural. I busted a few when sliding them on the blank but I haven’t had that problem turning them on the blank. This one is sealed with permagloss but I usually use u40 cork seal.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Project XXX

Decided to re wrap my Trusty XXX 1509 3rd Generation. This rod has caught quite a few Drum for me over the years. It is the only 1509 I have left, I only have one 1507 left for the beach and I re wrapped it last winter.

Stripped the 1509 guides and sanded most of the black off. Sprayed it with Automotive Clear Coat. It is not perfect but I was getting wary about too much sanding........ as in screwing up the strength of the stick. So it has a slight mottled look to it.

I think I last wrapped this 1509 15 years ago. It was back when I used A under and A overwraps. I wrapped it Red and while I thought about it I decided to change it up some.

I bought this 1509 as a factory Breakaway straight out of Texas from Ryan at Hatteras Jacks. Ryan gave me a deal on it because everyone was going for more limber sticks at the time....and it was like an orphan hanging all by itself gathering dust. It has served me well and countless Sharks and Rays will attest to its ability to find the unwanted species.

I read on a PRo rodbuilding site that the PRos do not use under wraps. I am not sure if I want to PRo it but more than likely it will A under and D over, because I am not a PRo, just a guy with Rod Lathe and time on my hands.

I was able to salvage the Alconite Guides from my 1509 Project XXX, They are soaking in a jar of Lacquer thinner at the moment. They are in surprisingly good condition. The factory Breakaway's used Hardaloy with the grey inserts. They were pretty economical back at All Star in those days.

I also am refitting an extra cut down 1509 butt and make it with Cork Grips and and new reel seat. I got the grips reamed out and waiting on the reel seat from Mudhole.

Finished rod will be 12'6". I can make it 13' with a normal uncut 1509 butt I have or make it 13'6" with a competition butt.

If I ever get to fish again and some of these young DrumPros start talking trash about their fancy new extra fast CTS 12 foot Sticks I can break out Project XXX and they can marvel about how heavy it feels, certainly will not get blown out of a railing notch in a gale, like some other brands I can mention only in some obscure manner.

I am going to use some subdued Greys I have on hand. Perhaps one day I will go Neon like TomH but not on Project XXX.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
PRoject XXX is done wrapping, waiting on new bottles of Threadmaster Lite to show up from Oviedo Florida. Not sure if PRoject XXX is a Shark rod or a Drum Rod, likely its a Shark Rod, but one can hope......

I was occupied elsewhere and did not realize that the Private Equity firm had driven Remington Arms into oblivion last year.

I have owned a dozen or so 870's and 1100's over the years, bought the first one after I turned 18 years old.

Private Equity firms are great at putting insurmountable debt on private companies, extracting big fees, draining assets and then steering them into Bankruptcy court so the pension funds do not have to be capitalized beyond what is negotiated in the bankruptcy court, and the PE Firm can leave with its fees intact.....

Building a 9' Spinner for Metal at the moment. I have decided that one guide a day is all I want at that moment as far as being productive. I laid out the guides based on a casting rod so there are more guides than what a Spinner needs, but at only one guide wrapped a day, who is counting.

Next Weekend it should kick off at the Secret Spot, but until then I am putting Tung oil finish on a Left Hand Model 70 Stock that came out of Remington's Custom Shop, that I have had in a factory box for the last 20 years in the garage.

I owned a half dozen or so Model 700 Remington's they were extremely accurate, I got pissed off about the Remington Trigger issue and sold them all off.

But since this stock is so nice......I will get decent LH Model 700 to go in my Custom Shop Stock, I will Pillar Bed it and add a Timney Trigger and go to the range and not worry about having an accidental discharge from the Gun having a Remington Moment.

I am betting the Man from Moyock or the GolfPRo will get the first one at the Secret Spot come next weekend.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Unless Biker Ricky gives SuperBoy some assistance with roadtrips, it will probably be the same DrumPRo regulars who will make up the Spring Leaderboard as we have had for the last 10 years or so....

That is unless some DrumPRo want-to-be decides to go for it, quit the job...sleep at the Secret Spot....Come into town only for Bait-Fuel-Beer-Coffee-Snacks and then go back on the GRind....

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
First 870 Wingmaster I bought was brand new $90 I think it was before tax. They only had the shiny walnut stock Wingmasters in those days, not the B model with the Birch Stock.

That was 1972 by the way.....

·
Registered
758 Posts
My deer rifle is a 1970 Model 700-BDL .30-06. Haven't found a reason to upgrade yet, although I do plan on putting new glass on it this year.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Last Night at Secret Spot as predicted GolfPro got the first one on the Sand. I have the photo in my I-phone.

GolfPro's stickman MoyockMan evidently somehow burned off Drum #2 for GolfPro otherwise GolfPRo would be at the top of the leaderboard.

They will likely bite next few nights at the Secret Spot until the weather turns next week.

GolfPro did mention some type of handicap system, similar to the PGA system that would require all competing DrumPRos to post a 50 Drum set-off or penalty in the event they either lived full time on Hatteras or Northern Beaches or Part-Time in Buxton and were in a position to schedule their work hours around a Bite or Weather event. Tournament Officials are reviewing, but likely this Penalty Phase does not stand much of a chance of clearing committee.

On a Brighter note I realized that the last seven years of the MAN Tournament the winning DrumPro Number 1 First Place Finishers all fished CTS Heavers built by Nicks Custom Rods. That is either a coincidence or a trend or blind ambition. Zing did fish his own CTS creations but then switched to NCR. Order Up at Nicks Custom Rods and keep this guy off the sand.

A lot of also rans also fished CTS.

I am building rods at the moment, keeping clear of Covid.

I also have been shooting my Recurve Bow. Found that Zwickey Broadheads are the devil to get sharpened whilst Ace Broadheads I can get scary sharp pretty quick with the Lansky System hones.

·
Registered
10 Posts
GolfPro and MoyockMan extended their commanding lead fishing through an electrical precipitation event early Thursday morning. I believe both entrants caught double digits for that particular session. The creatures were pushing free bait in the form of live spot and sea mullet up on the beach which aided those of us that were getting low and didn’t want to make that time eating walk back to the bait cooler for a supply run.

I captured my first of the season plus an additional five and bounced with the electricity. Oh that that bait hookup...yeah that really good secret bait that comes from 40 miles off the beach has to see my gaff first these days. But with a good bait supply comes a limited time frame to use it.

SuperBoy lives a few miles from me and I put on my black cap for him as much as I can. He’s still a young padewan but has potential to become one of the youngest masters we have seen.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Likely in two weeks I will be on the sand, I need to get Sharky....

I heard thru the Secret Drum Hotline that a GrassPro got in the way of GolfPro and GrassPro put up some significant numbers like 14 in one session was the report.

I had a two foot bolt of lightning hit about ten feet in front of me on the beach as I was leaving one afternoon, had my graphite anchor rod just a humming away on Nags Head Pier. A bolt of lightning hit the old T of Rodanthe and knocked about 6 pinriggers down on their butts. One pinrigger's feet were smoking.......Red-Head was almost taken out that day, along with Skip and RickB.

Sparky is nothing to mess with unless you are bowed up, then I recommend keeping your rod tip down....

Who makes the Hellfire Blank Travis?

I am not in need of one just curious.

Nick on his secret Facebook page Nick's Custom Rods / Facebook said he does not do rewraps anymore but did one because of some rather sketchy adornments for a Drum Rod. (I do rewraps all the time, by the way, just did one of my SurfSticks for the third time).

When I meet up with this SuperBoy I may feel I need to help him out with some stuff, so he does not run circles around me in the deep sand

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
GolfPro and MoyockMan always go out front and then GolfPro gets busy on the Links and MoyockMan turns CobiaMan.

That is when those Shifty Hatteras Boys who transfer to the Secret Spot start to wear away the lead.

I am starting to have old age issues coming up with my knees, but I am heavily armed so when I get there if it takes me a while to bend over and get hooks out of some critter, do not laugh until after I am out of earshot.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Update from Secret Drum Hotline. Virginia GrassPRo has retired and has joined PRoStaff at Team Vega as a VegaPRo.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just read the oystercatchers are back. I’m going in a couple of weeks, I hope they will keep a corridor open to the secret spot.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Likely in two weeks I will be on the sand, I need to get Sharky....

I heard thru the Secret Drum Hotline that a GrassPro got in the way of GolfPro and GrassPro put up some significant numbers like 14 in one session was the report.

I had a two foot bolt of lightning hit about ten feet in front of me on the beach as I was leaving one afternoon, had my graphite anchor rod just a humming away on Nags Head Pier. A bolt of lightning hit the old T of Rodanthe and knocked about 6 pinriggers down on their butts. One pinrigger's feet were smoking.......Red-Head was almost taken out that day, along with Skip and RickB.

Sparky is nothing to mess with unless you are bowed up, then I recommend keeping your rod tip down....

Who makes the Hellfire Blank Travis?

I am not in need of one just curious.

Nick on his secret Facebook page Nick's Custom Rods / Facebook said he does not do rewraps anymore but did one because of some rather sketchy adornments for a Drum Rod. (I do rewraps all the time, by the way, just did one of my SurfSticks for the third time).

When I meet up with this SuperBoy I may feel I need to help him out with some stuff, so he does not run circles around me in the deep sand
Brian has the hellfire.

·
Registered
43 Posts
No, but they will be the ones catching the drum if you are around them. However, they will prob not be where you can see them.

They tend to be where the drum are and not the people......

:cool:

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Thanks, I saw that Brian has the Hellfire for sale, I was curious what company makes it and if it is another 1509 clone.

Secret Drum Hotline revealed that MoyockMan succumbed to some type of avarice issue and got in a boat to slay them during the daytime and then taunt those on the beach by motoring by them at the Secret Spot.

Which reminds me of why when I was younger I wanted to drag a dory behind my Truck. Dory is a little sketchy for a 67 year old, I may not be fast enough to get out of its way if on a beach launch a wave decides to float it over me and drive me into the sand.

Zodiac is safer but then you get the Sharky aspect in the back of your mind, if the Sharks decide to start eating your rubber life raft.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts