Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MAN Tournament 2021 has started and somewhere someone is bowed up to what he hopes is not a Shark.

If you think you have what it takes, best get to work.

Due to the grueling nature of this Tournament, luck does not come into play.

What you need to win is a combination of the following items.

1. Athletic Ability
2. Top of the Line Drum Rods
3. Top of the Line Drum Reels
4. Four or more 1 pound spools of ProSpec or Sufix or maybe some other brand
5. Two hundred 7 ounce to 10 ounce Sinkers (Sharks Get Hungry) at a minimum
6. Two Hundred Drum Rigs at a minimum
7. 500 to 700 pounds of top quality iced bait (Pays to have inside connections either retail or fresh off the boat)
8. A working 4x4 vehicle with NC beach permit (Can be either your Truck or your buddies, but someone has to buy the gas and maintain the vehicle.
9. No Job during months March-June and months of Sept-June or the ability to quit job at moments notice.
10. Either an understanding supportive spouse with a good job which is preferable or No Spouse to get in your way.

If you checked off 9 or 10 of the previous 10 items you are a DrumPro and you stand a decent chance.

If you checked off 7 or 8 of the previous 10 items you are a skilled Angler who would need a Cinderella Season to stand a chance.

If you checked off 6 or less you will likely will have little chance unless nefarious means are employed.

If you want to win, you have to earn it.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wanted to clarify item number 9 in above post.

If you are a new entrant to this tournament, plan on quitting your present job in early March.

Existing entrants to previous Tournaments know that jobs kind of get in the way as they make themselves available both Spring and Fall seasons, perhaps taking some downtime in January and February to get their gear in order and tie rigs, smelt lead, perform housework, watch the kids, tell your spouse that things will be better this year and if you happen to win in 2021, you will retire and get back to being the person she thought you would be.

(Instead of some unshaven unbathed sunburnt fella living out of his Truck watching the Weather Channel instead of Bloomberg.com and coming home only to shower and get a change of clothes and a decent meal besides nabs and coffee and soda.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was just speaking on the Secret Drum Hotline and was informed that last years DrumPRo #1 and DrumPRo Joker are both Dropping down to the brand new CTS equal section 12' rods. 1205 and the even newer 1204.

Word is same power as 13' 1305 and 1306 but more rod speed and they are lighter so they make a more pleasant experience standing around waiting to get clobbered by a Shark or something.

Nick is the one you need to get in touch with at Nicks Custom Rods
Be sure and order two 1205's, I want Nick off the beach and out of my way if I can get vaccinated in time for the Spring Bite

·
Registered
53 Posts
Im hoping to get some clarification. Are the pros using a 50/50 split 1205 or a 8’10” tip 1205? The 2020 MAN’s golden rod looks to be the long tip version with the dec wrap on the tip section. I wouldn’t mind a 50/50 “travel” heaver but would like some feed back from some of the pros that have completed a little R&D with the 50/50 before I invest.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Im hoping to get some clarification. Are the pros using a 50/50 split 1205 or a 8’10” tip 1205? The 2020 MAN’s golden rod looks to be the long tip version with the dec wrap on the tip section. I wouldn’t mind a 50/50 “travel” heaver but would like some feed back from some of the pros that have completed a little R&D with the 50/50 before I invest.
I wanna fish off a pier/beach in NJ but its really cold. I got a sabiki rig, a couple of suspending jerkbaits (a larger one and a smaller one), some berkley gulp minnows/swimming mullet, a bunch of jig heads/weights, a couple of storm shad swimbaits, some cut squid and finger mullet from killer bee baits, and a 2 oz bucktail. I was thinking of cutting the cut squid into thin strips, putting them on the bucktail, and doing a slow retrieve. I was also thinking of putting the entire finger mullet on a carolina rig, or cutting it up and putting it on a hi low with the cut squid. I have no clue as to whether the sabiki works or not, but if it does, ill probably put whatever live bait i can catch on a carolina rig and live line it. I just need some tips and responses to all of this to know whether it'll work or not.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The rod pictured is 70/30. I have a 50/50 and I really like it. We are having a rod demo day in Rocky Mount N.C. January 16th if you would like to come try them out.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks for the reply Joker. I wish I could make Rocky Mt. but I’m a good ways to the west. I’m glad you are satisfied with the 50/50 split. Looks like I will need to invest.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The rod pictured is 70/30. I have a 50/50 and I really like it. We are having a rod demo day in Rocky Mount N.C. January 16th if you would like to come try them out.
I wanna fish off a pier/beach in NJ but its really cold. I got a sabiki rig, a couple of suspending jerkbaits (a larger one and a smaller one), some berkley gulp minnows/swimming mullet, a bunch of jig heads/weights, a couple of storm shad swimbaits, some cut squid and finger mullet from killer bee baits, and a 2 oz bucktail. I was thinking of cutting the cut squid into thin strips, putting them on the bucktail, and doing a slow retrieve. I was also thinking of putting the entire finger mullet on a carolina rig, or cutting it up and putting it on a hi low with the cut squid. I have no clue as to whether the sabiki works or not, but if it does, ill probably put whatever live bait i can catch on a carolina rig and live line it. I just need some tips and responses to all of this to know whether it'll work or not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was just speaking on the Secret Drum Hotline and was informed that last years DrumPRo #1 and DrumPRo Joker are both Dropping down to the brand new CTS equal section 12' rods. 1205 and the even newer 1204.

Word is same power as 13' 1305 and 1306 but more rod speed and they are lighter so they make a more pleasant experience standing around waiting to get clobbered by a Shark or something.

Nick is the one you need to get in touch with at Nicks Custom Rods
Be sure and order two 1205's, I want Nick off the beach and out of my way if I can get vaccinated in time for the Spring Bite

[/QUOTE

·
Registered
56 Posts
Where can I find the rules and regulations regarding this MAN Tournament ?
My searches are coming up empty.
Thanks

·
Registered
758 Posts
No boat fish and the fish has to be over 40" to count. Whoever catches the most wins.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Evidently the first Drum of 2021 was beached at Ramp 44. Information was from Bob's site and not the secret Drum Hotline so I am unable to verify. But I read it was measured to be 44" which puts it in first place. If a DrumPro got it please post a picture. If a Farmer got it please let Tourney Officials know.

Some warm water has pushed up against the Point and areas to the South. It may go off if the Sharks let the Drum in where folks can cast at them. Same thing happened a few times in the recent past. In 2018 there was a big Drum Bite around this time and in 2017 some Gulfstream 74 degree water came in in February to Ramp 44. In 2017 The Redhead and I were in shorts and getting smoked by seven foot Blacktips and larger Shark species that we never saw, but got stripped by. I remember walking around barefooted in February 2017 and the Point was covered up with Sargassum and Portuguese Man O Wars. Water was clear as summertime and it was full of Sharks and it was really warm until the Sun went down, then it went back to being February on the Outer Banks.

Thinking about getting a Zodiac to launch on the beach or more likely to drive across to the Secret Spot on the Sound for Summertime Big Drum. When I was young I was involved in two separate crashes involving surf launched boats that almost ended tragically and I feel that being run over by a Zodiac will be easier for me to recover from rather than getting buried in the sand by a wooden Carolina Dory. I know that I am no where near as fast as I was in my 20's and 30's but I still have the desire, especially on flat calm days when you see big schools of Drum busting fatback a half mile out in the middle of the day and all you can do is pray they come in come Dusk to Dawn.

I am rebuilding a 1307 and have a 1306 Blank coming way. By the way I sent $$ out this weekend via USPS to the CTS blank project coordination team.

Anyway this particular CTS 1307 had some Procote issues that made for a bubbly finish. I cleaned it up with Threadmaster some but the guides ended up having 5 coats on them and they were not pretty, Ryan at Hatteras Jacks would term them anal beads. So rather than being laughed at by the real RodBuilders I decided to redo a few guides.

May put cork ring grips on my 1307's, definitely will on the new 1306, but I ordered enough Cork ring grips for three heavers via Ebay and it might be lucky Feng Shu if I do change them up for a more vintage look.

Anyway the only fishing I got going on at the moment is rod building and reel cleanup.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Things were better back in the Day or at least that is how I would like to remember them.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I learned that when opening up the hole on cork grips to fit a CTS you need to wrap the entire grip in duct tape to prevent the cork from cracking when reaming it out with a power drill.

I cracked several grips until I got the drift. The cork grips feel much nicer than cork tape to me. I do not like shrink wrap at all unless it is the thicker Japanese Type they use on Century Rods.

I guess I can post some pictures of my new modified Bad Ass Sticks when I am done. Waiting on some rubber trim rings to arrive before I glue the grips to the rod butt.

I fished pretty hard on the OBX until I reached 18 years of age. I then took a break from fishing a lot until I was in my late 30's. Spent a lot of time after the species below. If young DrumPros would spend more time at what they should be after perhaps older DrumRetirees could get a few more.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts