Pier and Surf Forum banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts
Discussion starter · #41 ·
I cannot offer advice on workouts centered around heaving but I can attest to the hammer workout. I work on a hydraulic fracturing crew and we use 6lb sledges to tighten the hammer unions on our 2", 3" and 4" iron. It will turn you into a beast in the shoulders if you stick with it I can almost promise you that.
I was a carpenter when I was young, been in the financial field for last 22 years. My workouts are more about life and getting around without requiring an oxygen bottle than anything else. I started in the Gyms after I put my tools away and quit climbing around. I miss construction work at times for the sense of accomplishment it brought at the end of a hard day.

When I got back to the Pier this Fall I had gained weight (not muscle) and several DrumPros were making fun of me. Being sensitive to punks making fun of me and kicking sand in my face, I decided to rebuild over the Winter:rolleyes: so I would not need Joker to bodyguard me if I run into trouble at Secret Cast Net areas on Hatteras:) Throwing a 10' net for a few hours at certain locations on Hatteras can bring the wrong kind of Heat:rolleyes:

Too cold to put in any practice here in January but I have an advantage over most folks who are not presently living on the OBX and that is I started throwing a heaver in the early 1980's so I can bomb it out there most days unless I get too tired, and getting tired and winded easily is something that us old people can attest to:(

It is not so much the push pull as the start slow and then blast it:rolleyes:

Discussion starter · #42 · (Edited)
I am planning to make a couple appearances this spring. I've also been hitting the gym frequently myself and been thinking about tailoring my workout more towards heaver'ing. Do you have any specific workout advice? I just started beating a tractor tire with an 8lb hammer.

BTW - We met last spring on the beach at Hatteras Inlet, I had a lifted white Suburban with a Reynolds front rack.
I remember you Geek, I think you had your family with you most days.

Chuck Lydell method of tractor tires is good:)

Better to ask Tuna for Pro advice, but I will say this, if your tendons and ligaments fail or get inflamed it is hard to fish effectively:(

Speaking of Hammers in 1991 I was nailing some joist cross bracing on a house framing job in Rodanthe in early October. I missed a nail and my 28 ounce framing hammer bounced against a joist and then blasted my right thumb, making a mess of my thumb and splattering blood:(

Later that night on Rodanthe Pier I had tried to tape up my thumb enough to get a cast off, but my thumb was too injured to keep the spool from slipping. Only two fellas were out there besides me. Arch and the Redhead.

Neither of them offered to cast for me, so I had to just sit and watch them get bowed up:popcorn: Arch had the same beautiful cast then as he does now;):) In fact Arch and Larry Haack were in a league of their own:cool: along with a young man named Jay who the RedHead and I called the Hopper:) who also out cast the rest of us.

Pat does a little hop to this day, not as exaggerated as Jay who threw so hard on the pier he would leave his feet every time. I tried hopping for a while, it was kind of like a Hollywood Hookset:beer: more show than anything else but I think it got a few yards extra for me:rolleyes:

Yep, the family was in tow most of the days. Honestly, my last couple of months of working out has been to reduce girth. Last spring I was at my largest ever, I've shed about 60lbs so far.

I totally missed out on last years fall drum season due to some family health issues, so I'm planning to make up a little this spring, hope to see you out there.

New Years goal was to increase my workouts to get this 58-year old body in better shape too......and it hasn't helped my casting efforts yet.......so won't be crushing it but will feel better about myself in any case :) Never hurts to pull a few 50 inchers in for the added workout. See you boy's in April.

Discussion starter · #45 · (Edited)
President' Day

Re-wrapping guides on a SurfStick this morning for a little bit. It reminded me of when I first started. The rules in the 1980's were as follows;

1. Drum in the early evening at the Point will be out further than you can cast.

2. Drum in the early evening at the Point will not be out further than the top three rods on the beach that day can cast.

3. If you drag the Drum to your truck to slide him in a cooler and drink a beer to catch your breath, you are not going to catch as many as the top rods who released all their Drum.

4. There will be people in your way who do not like you, so try and be patient and pace yourself early in the season, so as not to get aggravated and end up in the bar. (Not outer bar). I spent a few Drum seasons mostly fishing the bars and whilst the women were more prevalent the fishing was not helped.

5. Fried Drum taste pretty good, especially after a long winter. Grilled they taste pretty good too. Just have to cut the Dark Red meat out on the filets.

6. If you think people are selfish in traffic, just wait until October at the Point.

7. Things were always better in the old days, fishing, traffic, girls, trucks (They said that a lot about Trucks and Automobiles in general in the 80's, no one can admit with a straight face this is still true).

Thinking this morning that except for standing by your Truck with a cold beer in your hand and big tail sticking out of a cooler lid, the rules are pretty much the same... Most of the People have changed. The old ones are dead or rendered disabled by age. The young ones know everything and step lightly over the sand, where I trudge...Drum Stones were a valuable commodity in the 80's ...no one knows what they look like these days.....or where you find them....

As far as I know the OBX DrumPros are all tied at 0 at the moment. Somewhere this weekend or perhaps last, tackle inventory is going on, gear is being gone thru and reels are getting cleaned.

I have wrapped guides and built the butts for four Drum rods that are ready for epoxy, my rod dryer is in Chicago, so I guess I will order another from Mudhole in order to be ready when the Secret Drum Hotline Red Phone starts to ring.....

New 1306 is on the dryer as I type, while I watch the snow/sleet fall here in central Virginia. Gotta re-line a couple Daiwa 20s too, but overall Im ready to fish. Spring training baseball starts tomorrow, drum aren't far behind.

Discussion starter · #50 ·
DD must be on break.

Clean looking Stick. Adam

1307 #1 is turning on the dryer at this moment. Decided to use D thread for the guide overwraps, age has affected my eyes, so end result with D Thread is not as clean as A for the guide over wrap, but the bonus is that the guide feet do not need to be ground down so the rust takes a year or two longer to set in. I realize that Titanium Torzite Guides are available but a certain well known Biker Drum Pro said his Torzites had had some issues.

For the 1st time in 30 years I built two matching Sticks, both 1307's the same color scheme.

I am very interested to find out if my 1307's are SharkSticks or Drum Rods, will find out soon by the end of the Month.

DD must be on break.

1307 #1 is turning on the dryer at this moment. Decided to use D thread for the guide overwraps, age has affected my eyes, so end result with D Thread is not as clean as A for the guide over wrap, but the bonus is that the guide feet do not need to be ground down so the rust takes a year or two longer to set in. I realize that Titanium Torzite Guides are available but a certain well known Biker Drum Pro said his Torzites had had some issues.

For the 1st time in 30 years I built two matching Sticks, both 1307's the same color scheme.

I am very interested to find out if my 1307's are SharkSticks or Drum Rods, will find out soon by the end of the Month.
Stripped down that 1502 yesterday and prepped it for paint, shorty wants a custom color. Talked to Drum Pro #1 about painting the blank and he recommended talking to Zing Pow since he has some experience with custom rod finishes. Going to build it back spinning and load it with 30 lb. Power Pro and let her fish around anyone who is out catching we when the bite is on.:rolleyes: Shes already planning our spring break trip and trying to figure out how to get Biker Ricky to pick her up from school so she can fish while I work. I'm afraid I've created a monster.;)

Discussion starter · #52 ·
Stripped down that 1502 yesterday and prepped it for paint, shorty wants a custom color. Talked to Drum Pro #1 about painting the blank and he recommended talking to Zing Pow since he has some experience with custom rod finishes. Going to build it back spinning and load it with 30 lb. Power Pro and let her fish around anyone who is out catching we when the bite is on.:rolleyes: Shes already planning our spring break trip and trying to figure out how to get Biker Ricky to pick her up from school so she can fish while I work. I'm afraid I've created a monster.;)
Whatever color you paint it I would recommend a multiple clear coats over the color. CTS paints seem to last but likely they are baked in an oven. I painted a couple rods a while back with Rattle can Automotive Paint but they chipped so much I stripped them down. I guess you could let the paint dry real good and after go over it with an alcohol burner to heat it up good and simulate an oven-baked finish. An airbrush will give a finer finish, so you might as well go buy one as Shorty does not deserve a Shortcut method.

Some of the CTS rods look good after many seasons and some like the RedHead's Blue rod look pretty scratchy:rolleyes: Seems like the RodGeeks paint fades pretty good as the Flashes Stick is sunburnt on one side from running around in his roof rack.

Zing Pow last paint job looked pretty nice, he used a sponge to texture it after the base coat.

I am a non painted non custom color kind of guy, I have a couple sticks that I built over 30 years ago, no one painted blanks in those days, we just were not as hip as the new generation:rolleyes:

DD must be on break.

Stripped down that 1502 yesterday and prepped it for paint, shorty wants a custom color. Talked to Drum Pro #1 about painting the blank and he recommended talking to Zing Pow since he has some experience with custom rod finishes. Going to build it back spinning and load it with 30 lb. Power Pro and let her fish around anyone who is out catching we when the bite is on.
Shes already planning our spring break trip and trying to figure out how to get Biker Ricky to pick her up from school so she can fish while I work. I'm afraid I've created a monster.
If your serious about the line make sure she knows to either wear protection on her finger or lock the drag down before cast so it won't slip and cut her. Ive been cut pretty bad by that exact line before when not paying attention.

Discussion starter · #54 ·
#3 is the new #1 for the 1st complete Month of 2019 MAN.

Funny thing about Jimmy Hillsman evicting #3 from his bait prep station, it gave him the impetus to get out in front.

Staying out in front will be the true test for #3, not sure if he can hang with Last Years #1 as far as spending entire nights-weeks-months out on the sand, then there is the problem of Last Year's #2 having an inordinate amount of extra "killer bait" when poor souls like myself are forced to ply the waters looking for cobs. Life is not fair a fair amount of the time and if you want to be the MAN, you have to have several things going for you, a lot of skill, a bit more luck, bait and most of all better bait.

They have been catching them at the usual secret spots and perhaps by this weekend the water temps will stabilize to the point where it is not just the point.

1%'er Biker to be Spring Breaker in Hatteras this year instead of Daytona, less Outlaws and Strippers, but more wholesome activity being a bait bitch.

There is a rumor that San Juan will soon be San Hatteras, not sure if he realizes yet that the Hotties on Hatteras all leave for South Miami Beach in November, but when you are young you do a lot of stupid things, based on either emotion or forces beyond your control. I spent some years on the OBX, all told about 15. Not sure if it helped or hurt me, I do know that my Trucks rusted quicker.

By the way Red Drum Tackle finally got on the CTS band wagon and Brian is building some very nice Drum sticks in the new invigorated tackle center that indeed is the closest to the Point.

Stripped down that 1502 yesterday and prepped it for paint, shorty wants a custom color. Talked to Drum Pro #1 about painting the blank and he recommended talking to Zing Pow since he has some experience with custom rod finishes. Going to build it back spinning and load it with 30 lb. Power Pro and let her fish around anyone who is out catching we when the bite is on.
Shes already planning our spring break trip and trying to figure out how to get Biker Ricky to pick her up from school so she can fish while I work. I'm afraid I've created a monster.
#3 is the new #1 for the 1st complete Month of 2019 MAN.

Funny thing about Jimmy Hillsman evicting #3 from his bait prep station, it gave him the impetus to get out in front.

Staying out in front will be the true test for #3, not sure if he can hang with Last Years #1 as far as spending entire nights-weeks-months out on the sand, then there is the problem of Last Year's #2 having an inordinate amount of extra "killer bait" when poor souls like myself are forced to ply the waters looking for cobs. Life is not fair a fair amount of the time and if you want to be the MAN, you have to have several things going for you, a lot of skill, a bit more luck, bait and most of all better bait.

They have been catching them at the usual secret spots and perhaps by this weekend the water temps will stabilize to the point where it is not just the point.

1%'er Biker to be Spring Breaker in Hatteras this year instead of Daytona, less Outlaws and Strippers, but more wholesome activity being a bait bitch.

There is a rumor that San Juan will soon be San Hatteras, not sure if he realizes yet that the Hotties on Hatteras all leave for South Miami Beach in November, but when you are young you do a lot of stupid things, based on either emotion or forces beyond your control. I spent some years on the OBX, all told about 15. Not sure if it helped or hurt me, I do know that my Trucks rusted quicker.

By the way Red Drum Tackle finally got on the CTS band wagon and Brian is building some very nice Drum sticks in the new invigorated tackle center that indeed is the closest to the Point.
I am honestly ranking the move as one of my better decisions.
Not worrying about the 'hotties', if you look around..you'll find them.
And where's garbo?
We got drum.

Discussion starter · #58 · (Edited)
I am honestly ranking the move as one of my better decisions.
Not worrying about the 'hotties', if you look around..you'll find them.
And where's garbo?
We got drum.
I was coming down this weekend but the wind is wrong. Looks like next Wed. will be a better fit for Tourist Fishermen like myself. :)

Earliest Cobia I have killed from a Pier came on May 2, 1987 at NHP. I am going to see about taking down the first Cobia of the OBX from shore, next week at the Secret Spot.:cool: For some reason that day in 1987 I put out a live Bluefish on my Pin Rig and 20 minutes into the mornings fishing my Bluefish disappeared into a 45 pound Cobia's mouth. I sold that fish for $100 to the owner of the Wharf Buffet. IT was the very first Cobia on the entire OBX that Spring. Back then there was not a freaking Armada of Cobia Killers in Center Consoles and Towers. Most Boat Cobia came out of the Sound at a secret Spot called the Cobia Stake.

I am not fishing with the same bait I was in the 1980's so finding Hotties on Hatteras in February is a bit more difficult.:( You can find a few Drunk Hotties at the Brewing Station at that time. I probably should be fishing the Headlights Bar with a stack of $$$ Point Harbor Conversation Pieces.

Seems like last Weekend was a bit slow and the Bite was when I had to work in midweek.

My Drum rods are all ready finally, there was a delay at the production facility, these sticks are Drum only no Sharks.....no Skates.....and no Rays....

I will be in late afternoon next Wed and looking for bait at my secret cast net spots that are off limits to normal fishermen, not willing to risk a beating:)

Discussion starter · #60 ·
According to RDT there was a major bite last night at the point. Good luck next week.
They were taunting me with photos on the Secret Drum Hotline. DrumPro #4 said about 200 put on the Beach on Wed. Evidently Mark Zuckerberg's site was being overwhelmed with proud anglers trying to hold up fish and their sticks at the same time.

Evidently some of the DrumPros got up to 20 Citations per man in 24 hours, or at least DrumPro #3 did. A couple of the DrumPro's should be well past 50 Citations for 2019 by the time I get there.:)

Should bite hard into this evening and then slow down some this weekend.

Even DrumPro Shorty got in on the action and put one on the beach with year designated driver.

Glad to see them put in the work.:)

41 - 60 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.