Pier and Surf Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Next time I see you I'll give you one of mine... Mine are just my version on them, it's not like mine are the standard. :)

i havent had a problem with wire leader and in red may attract some fish. be careful crimping the sleeves on the mono leader you can cut or nick it and it will fail on a big fish.

i like those genie clips the breakaway fast links are nice also. for a snaggy place like spsp i like to use small duo lock snaps, they break off when snagged.

i like that pulley rig, going to watch that video a couple times and tie one up.

weather looks like crap this weekend but thats good for fishing plus a new moon woohoo:D

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
That's at PLO last year... LOL That was one of my earlier creations... I've dropped the colorful beads since them, but I remember that rig catching fish.. :)

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
I'd like to give this tip to those who might need it....
When snelling your hooks it is good to keep in mind the pound test of that. A hook snelled with 10lb test attached to 30lb power pro makes the hook snell the failure point. Learned this from experience.........Think about this when you buy the pre-snelled packs of hooks off the shelf.
AS KMW said it is a wonderful thing to catch a nice fish on a rig you tied yourself. It is also a good lesson when you lose one....:D

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I got a few two hook flapper rigs made with different color beads. I also got a few fish finder rigs made as well. 60lb mono leader material, 20 lb flouro for the hooks. I didn't want to go overboard making a bunch of leaders. They're easy to make...if I find myself in need while fishing, I'll make some then and there.

It literally takes less than two minutes to make the flapper (top/bottom) rig. I hope it works out for me. I'll give my stuff a try this coming Saturday.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
i bumped this one to see how you guys are doing with your rigs.
I fished the point at Ft Washington Park and ended up snagged about a hundred times, both with my homemade rigs and the store brought variety. I'll have to try again somewhere without so many boulders in the water. Folks there warned me. The point is painful to the bottom fisher, they mostly bass fish at that spot. It may have been less troublesome if thenfish were biting. Its harder to get hung up when your hooks attached to the lip of a fish instead of a branch or some hydrilla lol.

Hmmm, I did notice hook breakoffs. I used 20lb test on the hooks and 50 on my leaders, so I guess that makes sense. I snelled my hooks, but probably could've tied stronger knots. :(

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I still need to get smaller crimps. The ones I have only work when the line (60lb test) is doubled thru the sleeve. I forget what size crimps I got, but they are like 40-80 or something like that. By reading the pack, I thought they would be ok for either single or double passage. I need smaller ones that will cinch down on the single strand to stop stuff from sliding. Overhand knots are working fine for this purpose temporarily though.

I only have the beads on the rig body. For the flapper rigs, the beads are at the swivels. For the fish finder rigs, the beads are on each side of the sinker slide.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
you may want to like at Double Barrell Sleves..

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Question for Mark..

What's the advantages with the Flapper if compared to the Double Dropper Rig...?? Here's how I see it.. The Double dropper has less moving parts which means less of a chance of having something fail... Plus when using crimps to hold beads and swivels you risk the chance of over crimping and damaging your line, or not crimping with enough force and having your bead\hook leader slid down the rig during a hard cast.. I cant tell you how many times I had the bead go over the crimp..... :(

·
Registered
712 Posts
Question for Mark..

What's the advantages with the Flapper if compared to the Double Dropper Rig...?? Here's how I see it.. The Double dropper has less moving parts which means less of a chance of having something fail... Plus when using crimps to hold beads and swivels you risk the chance of over crimping and damaging your line, or not crimping with enough force and having your bead\hook leader slid down the rig during a hard cast.. I cant tell you how many times I had the bead go over the crimp..... :(
i answered this in whole in your email. but if your bead and hook swivel are sliding over your crimp maybe the hole the in bead is bigger than your crimp. know what i mean?

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
snelled a couple chs but i think the palomar is a better knot because it doubles the line through the hook eye and simple to tie, i even double the line when making an improved chinch knot. fingers were too cold sat. morning for rig making

41 - 58 of 58 Posts